Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Default Adding 2 oil stroke in diesel fuel

Sometime ago there was a thread that mentioned the benefits of adding 2 stroke oil to your diesel fuel.

Now a bit of time has passed I wondered if anyone still does this and has anyone noticed any benefits or has it caused any problems?

How much do you add and how often?

Thanks

Default I would not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
    Sometime ago there was a thread that mentioned the benefits of adding 2 stroke oil to your diesel fuel.

Now a bit of time has passed I wondered if anyone still does this and has anyone noticed any benefits or has it caused any problems?

How much do you add and how often?

Thanks
    I started a thread on this and may be the one you are referring to. My engine started to smoke after adding it and ended up with some other problems which resulted in a complete rebuild. I would not use it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcorstorphine View Post
    I started a thread on this and may be the one you are referring to. My engine started to smoke after adding it and ended up with some other problems which resulted in a complete rebuild. I would not use it again.
    Were the problems down to the 2 stroke do you think and what sort of problems?

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

Why on earth would you do it? Are you trying to outguess the engine and fuel manufacturers who spend millions researching optimum solutions, which you then think you can 'improve' by adding a shot of gloop?
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    Why on earth would you do it? Are you trying to outguess the engine and fuel manufacturers who spend millions researching optimum solutions, which you then think you can 'improve' by adding a shot of gloop?
    Just wondered if it made a difference as in the Mercedes report when they tried it.

The engine manufactures probably were not aware that sulphur would be taken out of fuels when they designed engines commonly found on boats.

Do you add biocide glupe to your engine Twister. No doubt the fuel manufactures thought about this as well?

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

Do you add biocide glupe to your engine Twister.
    Not unless there's an infection to be treated.
    Next time, it'll all be different.

nedmin is offline Registered User

I,ve been doing it for years.Started doing it as I have a steel boat and the fuel tank is steel and thought it would stop fuel tank going rusty.Found engine seem to run better,now we,ve got low sulphur fuel will definately carry on to lubricate pumps etc.Use 1 lt to 200lts fuel approx.cannot see how it would knacker an engine.

Lakesailor is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    I said as much in the previous thread and was told I obviously didn't know anything.

Time is the judge.

Were the problems down to the 2 stroke do you think and what sort of problems?
    Really don’t know but I changed the engine oil from basic mineral oil to Castrol GTX Magnetec diesel at the same time I put in the 2 stroke oil and the engine started to smoke also was tricky to start and started to blow back through the camshaft cover. Ended up discovering that I was loosing compression in no 4 cylinder so ended up with a complete rebuild.

When I stripped the engine I found no mechanical damage to rings etc so could be that running the engine on thinner oil GTX and the 2 stroke cleaned up the gunge on the rings and left me with a smoky leaky engine.

The argument for using in the 2 stroke was compelling and there were lots of reports of injection pumps failing due to low sulphur.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html
    Last edited by Jcorstorphine; 17-02-12 at 10:50. Reason: Can't type correctly

will the oil mix properly and if not if an injector hits a lump won't it clog it?

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast