Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

I add petrol-and does act as a biocide-use it in car as well in small amounts when very cold as keeps diesel fluid.
    If you run on keroscene/central heating oil/paraffin then you will need to add an oil additive to provide the lubrication that diesel naturally has.
    Please dont say no-my Merc OM636 workshop manual gives you all the options /alternative fuels.

sarabande is offline Registered User

I add a very small amount of 2stroke (agricultural stuff, in 5l cans, chainsaws for the use of) to the tractors/mule, car, from time to time.

Certainly helps starting, and reduce smokiness at startup.

But I also use red diesel in the tractor....
    Last edited by sarabande; 17-02-12 at 23:10.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

sarabande is offline Registered User

I looked up the MSDS sheet for Redex.

Naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy, 60-100%
    2-ETHYL HEXYL NITRATE 1-5%
    Petroleum naphtha heavy aromatic < 1%
    NAPHTHALENE < 1%

So it looks as if it is basic raw petrol before it gets isomerised and treated to become real petrol, with some slippier oilier stuff added, and a cetane improver for better burning of the fuel-air mixture.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

So in summary:

The best additive would be some petrol mixed with 2 stroke oil?? Damit, we just changed to a four stroke outboard otherwise we'd always have a few litres of ready mixed stuff to hand
    Colvic Watson slideshow video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RayUzX7LZQ

oldsaltoz is online now Registered User

Exclamation

I'm suprissed no one has mentioned adding Acetone to diesel.

Good luck and fair winds.
    Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.

Sneaky Pete is offline Registered User

Default Add whatever you like it's your engine.

Has anyone added lapping paste to their diesel, itís about the only thing that hasnít been added yet. Why add anything to diesel as said on this thread petroleum companies spend a fortune on research and development of fuels for optimum efficiency. Why add anything to an engine that is working perfectly well if itís not broken donít touch it.

Lakesailor is offline Registered User

Some people have to mess......

It is called considering your options or tying to extend your knowledge from those more knowledgeable than yourself. I seem to be at the bottom of the knowledge tree so any acorns falling may help.

If the petrol companies had thought of everything we would not have to add biocide and fuel pumps would not fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Has anyone added lapping paste to their diesel, itís about the only thing that hasnít been added yet. Why add anything to diesel as said on this thread petroleum companies spend a fortune on research and development of fuels for optimum efficiency. Why add anything to an engine that is working perfectly well if itís not broken donít touch it.
    Because the sulphur content in diesel has been reduced in most supplied marine diesel.

SamSalter is online now Registered User

Sulphur content may have been reduced, but your diesel fuel manufacturers may well have added a lubricity agent to compensate.
    In N. America we've had ultra low sulphur fuel since about 2001 - not sure of date exactly.
    I checked with our Canadian fuel people and they assured me there was an additive put in to counteract the loss of sulphur. I also talked to Yanmar and they said the new ULSD was OK.
    I've got a Yanmar 2GM20F and have had no problems with seals and smoke after about 10 years using the ULSD.

If you do a search and/or talk to someone in the know I suspect your British engineers have figured it out too! Engineers know stuff - I are one! They have a lot of training and experience. Or you could post the question on a sailing forum and follow the advice of accountants, bankers and sewing machine salesmen!

Just joking - but as someone said earlier, engine, fuel and oil manufacturers spend a lot of time and money trying to get it right.

sam :-)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast