Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Default Problems gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    I am very sorry if my writing style offends, that was honestly not intended at all, maybe you missed the tongue in cheekness.

That doesn't mean that I suffer delusions mind because I prefer to think logically through a problem. Perhaps you should ask your Peugeot man to put his claim into writing so that you can then present it to the supermarkets, because if he really is correct then this is a scandal of national importance. Again sorry if that sounds sarcastic because that is how I write and it IS what I think, my opinion, which I too am entitled to.
    All is forgiven especially as I filled up with £60 of Shell V-Power (used to be called Optimax) at £1.48 per litre (ouch) and went for a 100 mile round trip to give it a try. Result.

Stalling gone.

Misfiring gone

Faltering when accelerating gone

Now, this is just one day and the faults are intermittent but I tried everything I could to get the engine to misbehave such as stopping to let it cool down (guaranteed to stall after that) drove in 1st gear at 1200 rpm and then hit the accelerator pedal, no problem. Drove in cruise control at 40 mph and blipped the cruise control up 5 mph, no problem.

Basically, I am a happier but poorer man however the car is still going in to have the fuel regulator valve changed (under warranty) as this was seen as the culprit by Peugeot. Could be that the shell fuel has helped the fuel regulator valve to operate better. Could it be the fuel has better lubricity due to additives which brings us back to the OPs original question about 2 stroke oil

My problem with modern common rail engines is that they are impossible to work on which I find hard to accept keeping in mind I have worked on diesels over the years from Volvo 2 cylinder donkers through Ford and BMC to RR/Perkins V12 engines. As has been said, these older engines will run on anything including old socks but I think that the modern generation of engines are more “choosey”

When this tank of liquid gold has been drained, then we will fill up with standard Shell which at one of our garages, is the same price as the supermarket for about 2 day a week, howver the tank may take a while to drain as we returened about 7 MPG better than usual.

Robin is offline Registered User

Interesting, as I spoke with number one son who aside from boats drives fuel tankers for a living. He said he sees the diesel tankers filling up every day pretty well and the Shell tankers are the exact same ones as contracted to deliver to Tescos he thought from memory, and I think he said the tanker company was Hoyer. He did say that he thought the 'super' type diesel grades were from different tanks however so I guess that is why your diesel was £1.48 and I just filled up at Tesco for £1.38, less of course the extra 10p/lt from the coupons. Perhaps Peugeot should pay the extra premium!

If you want to buy a decent car mind, we are off to the USA as soon as the house sells, and our Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Diesel Auto will be for sale and runs great on the cheap stuff!
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Lakesailor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jcorstorphine View Post
    My problem with modern common rail engines is that they are impossible to work on
    Yes, a real pain is that.

"however the tank may take a while to drain as we returned about 7 MPG better than usual."
    Surely that will make your price per mile lower than the "cheaper" fuel?

Default MPG?

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    If you want to buy a decent car mind, we are off to the USA as soon as the house sells, and our Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Diesel Auto will be for sale and runs great on the cheap stuff!

Sounds a nice vehicle but will it give me 64 MPG while touring the”English” bases for Weapons of Mass Destruction in the Gareloch, Loch Long and over the hills to the Glen Douglas Bomb storage depot and then back to Glasgow

SNP Joke.

Robin is offline Registered User

Sounds a nice vehicle but will it give me 64 MPG while touring the”English” bases for Weapons of Mass Destruction in the Gareloch, Loch Long and over the hills to the Glen Douglas Bomb storage depot and then back to Glasgow

SNP Joke.
    It's a 4x4 and will give you 40mpg, but still do it in one of your summer snowstorms!
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

This is slightly "off" topic but diesel related

I would tend to agree with the above comment regarding fuel companies as I am having a great deal of problems with my Peugeot 2.0 Hdi which has only covered 40,000 miles and still under 3 years old. The engine is stalling when the car is brought to a standstill and the engine cuts out for a split second when accelerating through the gears. It also hesitates momentarily when the cruise control setting is raised by 5 MPH. All of these are intermittent faults.

Why mention fuel companies, well I have been advised by the Peugeot main dealers not to use Sainsbury diesel or any other supermarket brand.
    Had similar problem with my Hdi, now 60,000 miles. Dealer took it in and I expected the worst. On collection was told no charge sir, we did a software download.

Replacment P hire car had low fuel and was recommended to top up at Sainsbury down the road. I suspect ( being an ex seven sister engineer) the supermarket fuel complies with BS EN standards and no more, if you want additives then use oil company fuel. I find oil company fuel tends give more MPG when I use it.

I always use the cheapest fuel I can get if possible, but dose the fuel with cetane enhancer before MOT particulate tests and have had no failures even with original nonserviced injectors 200,000 miles old on my previous 306 and 407s

Brian

maxi77 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by brianhumber View Post
    Had similar problem with my Hdi, now 60,000 miles. Dealer took it in and I expected the worst. On collection was told no charge sir, we did a software download.

Replacment P hire car had low fuel and was recommended to top up at Sainsbury down the road. I suspect ( being an ex seven sister engineer) the supermarket fuel complies with BS EN standards and no more, if you want additives then use oil company fuel. I find oil company fuel tends give more MPG when I use it.

I always use the cheapest fuel I can get if possible, but dose the fuel with cetane enhancer before MOT particulate tests and have had no failures even with original nonserviced injectors 200,000 miles old on my previous 306 and 407s

Brian
    Sainsbury sued one of the majors, Shell I think over advertising that suggested you didn't get all the goodies in supermarket fuel, and won handsomely. Various independant tests have shown little benefit from premium fuels, and I have never seen enough benefit to support the premium.

For many years I was a salesman, and some customers bought the discount others bought the snake oil, how much of the additives is but snake oil?
    Peter

Not bad really. 57 replies and I am still none the wiser when it comes to my original question.
    Having said that I have enjoyed reading the replies and have learnt quiet a bit about other things.
    I still doubt that fuel manufactures spent millions on research to help older engines. You could say the same with oil manufactures. They spent millions developing super oils and synthetics that last and last but put them in an older boat engine and it can destroy them pretty quickly. In engines like mine the older natural oils work.
    What is going to happen to older engines with the new low sulphur fuel. I guess we are going to find out pretty soon now the new season is nearly here.
    Once again, thank you for all your replies.

andrewbarker is offline Registered User

FWIW -
    Shell do use separate tanks for storage at Avonmouth - they don't use the same tanks as supermarket fuels.

In my experience supermarket diesel drives OK, but it will knacker your EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve by about 100K miles, whereas Vpower (or BP ultimate) will keep it nice & clean indefinitely. Vpower gives me +4.2 mpg.

And yes, I've used acetone in Ford Dover engines (3.5% mpg gain), but a *** to source & store the acetone (it works by weakening the molecular & cellular structure of the diesel so it burns better)

And the best diesel fuel additive for power/smoothness/no smoke/lubricating pumps/economy etc is Millers PowerPlus.

But if anyone thinks that no additives make any difference - that's absolutely fine by me. I wasn't bothered much myself until fuel costs went through the roof.

SNP Joke.
    Guess most people dont know as they drive along the "Bonny Bonny Banks of Loch Lomond "there is a big enough Nuclear Arsenal in Glen Douglas probably to knock the earth out of orbit-thats everything naval ever produced from Polaris warheads through to Trident.
    One of the few places in the UK that is defended like something in a James Bond movie!
    The railway to Fort William passes the entrance to Glen Douglas just before it reaches Arrochar on Loch Long.
    Anyway why worry about car engines and diesel-those beasties-Trident subs were forever breaking down and having to be tugged back up to Faslane after drifting around aimlessly near Little Cumbrae!
    Used to be a days entertainment watching them from our kitchen window on Canada Hill, Bute.
    Finally a funny story compliments of Strathclyde University-their Naval Architecture dept et al received an officially anonomous request to design a door capable of withstanding a 40 foot Tsunami as well as amazing pressures and heat!-thats right you drive over the top of Trident subs if you take the road from Loch Lomond to Faslane-built origionally by the MOD as a private route to Faslane.
    I am told there are other Sub Pens here and there but they are not exactly advertised.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast