Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 54
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ccscott49 View Post
    Charles,
    The foriegn office has been telling all brits in Greece to regoster with the local consulate, .
    Not aware of this advice, doesn't appear to be on the Foreign Office website.

  2. #22
    Davy_S's Avatar
    Davy_S is offline Registered User
    Location : Greece (Ionian)
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,650

    Default


  3. #23
    Sybaris's Avatar
    Sybaris is offline Registered User
    Location : Greece, Turkey, Cyprus, Egypt
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Despite of what the doom and gloomers will have you believe the majority of Greeks are actually extremely kind and honest. Kind of crazy that I actually have to point this out. I don't think the business honesty is any worse here than in any other western country, but hey each one for him/her self.

    We were advised by the same doom and gloomers two years ago to immediately leave Greece because a new tax would have us pay several thousand Euros in back tax to cruise in Greece. It never happened.

    If you have any wish to give Greece a helping hand it certainly doesn't help to instigate unfounded or far fledged worst case scenarios.

    Cheers,
    Per

  4. #24
    Sybaris's Avatar
    Sybaris is offline Registered User
    Location : Greece, Turkey, Cyprus, Egypt
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    327

    Default

    By the way, here is some food for thought:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17155304

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    18,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nickf View Post
    Not aware of this advice, doesn't appear to be on the Foreign Office website.
    I was wrong, Haig was saying this in an interview. But why?
    If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    18,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sybaris View Post
    Despite of what the doom and gloomers will have you believe the majority of Greeks are actually extremely kind and honest. Kind of crazy that I actually have to point this out. I don't think the business honesty is any worse here than in any other western country, but hey each one for him/her self.

    We were advised by the same doom and gloomers two years ago to immediately leave Greece because a new tax would have us pay several thousand Euros in back tax to cruise in Greece. It never happened.

    If you have any wish to give Greece a helping hand it certainly doesn't help to instigate unfounded or far fledged worst case scenarios.

    Cheers,
    Per
    By the way not doom or gloomers! I'm still here and staying here, just being a little more careful, also best read all of that article again if I were you. The Greeks are productive at what exactly? What do the Greeks export for their collective balance of payments? The greeks may work more hours, but at what and why?
    If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ccscott49 View Post
    I was wrong, Haig was saying this in an interview. But why?
    Because it is standard Foreign Office advice for any one living abroard to register their address with the local High Commission, Embassy or Consulate?
    Last edited by nickf; 27-02-12 at 07:58.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ccscott49 View Post
    By the way not doom or gloomers! I'm still here and staying here, just being a little more careful, also best read all of that article again if I were you. The Greeks are productive at what exactly? What do the Greeks export for their collective balance of payments? The greeks may work more hours, but at what and why?
    Greece exported over 20,000 million US dollars worth of goods and 37,000 USD of services in 2010. Some of the main exports are food, metals, machinery and petroleum products, then of cause there is the shipping industry. They rank at about 32 in the world economy by GDP.
    Last edited by nickf; 27-02-12 at 11:37.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    51

    Default Greek Marinas 23% discount

    Quote "Despite of what the doom and gloomers will have you believe the majority of Greeks are actually extremely kind and honest. Kind of crazy that I actually have to point this out. I don't think the business honesty is any worse here than in any other western country, but hey each one for him/her self.

    We were advised by the same doom and gloomers two years ago to immediately leave Greece because a new tax would have us pay several thousand Euros in back tax to cruise in Greece. It never happened.

    If you have any wish to give Greece a helping hand it certainly doesn't help to instigate unfounded or far fledged worst case scenarios".

    There doesn't appear to be any doom and gloom in this thread just a discussion on the practical application of the dire Greek economy on cruising.The tax discussion of a year or so ago enabled cruisers to understand the tax liability when cruising Greece. As far as is known that tax law is still on the books only not being enforced. That could change at any moment. Those cruising in Greece will have the tax liability. Some chose to cruise Greece some chose to stay away. Under the thumbscrews of the first two bailouts there is more likely hood that more tax laws will be enforced. It would be helpful to hear from Plaeis on this. These are not unfounded far fledged worst case scenarios.

    It could also be that the best way to save a business in Greece is to collapse it if there is Government default. There is no comment here on honesty.

    Yes Greeks are for the most part kind, honest, hard working and deserve every opportunity to thrive. The opportunity being given the Greeks by their politicians in seeking and agreeing bail outs is wrong. The Greek people should have the chance to choose default or bail out through a referendum.
    Smooth sailing.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    560

    Default Greek Economy

    As a Greek I would like to defend Greek people by reminding you a couple of facts.

    1. Greek military spendings rise to 4,2% of GDP whereas Germany only spends 1,7% of its GDP for the same purpose. Had our European "allies", "friends" and "partners" guaranteed Greek (European) borders this would leave a 2,5% of the GDP yearly for the last 67 years. Do the math - setting aside interest if you like.

    2. Germany owns its prosperity partially due the its failure to pay not only war reparations to Greece but - wait for it - not even the forced loan that the Reich took from the Greek state during the WWII occupation of the country. You can find the figures estimated by third party analysts to range between 120 and 567 billion euros.
    In fact Germany defaulted twice. First after WWII when it postponed repayments until it re-unifies and then when this happened and they "forgot".

    It's as if I can hear: "Now that doesn't fit. Do you mean that easy-living Greeks should be better off than the hard-working Germans?". The answer is: why not? Greeks may not be as hard-working as the Protestant Germans but they have other qualities. They are flexible, industrious and imaginative. Plus, they have more natural resources.

    Counter arguments are highly encouraged.
    Last edited by Glyka; 28-02-12 at 23:03.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •