Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Colvic 26 Northener

Colvic 26 Northerner like this one http://www.prestonmarina.co.uk/broke...ener%2026.html

What kind of fuel economy would she get?

Would she be OK for steaming up to Scotland (from NW England) and hopping round some islands?

And finally, would she be able to handle the same roughness of sea as an equivalent length yacht?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Captain Daz; 18-02-12 at 01:05.

LittleShip is offline Registered User

Before I went and bought Little Ship I was very tempted to buy a Colvic Northerner.

In answer to your questions.

1 Probably about 1 gallon/hr at cruise....approx 6knts
    2 Only in settled weather. I think you will find they were designed as an estuary river cruiser. That said many have been tramping around the seas for years.
    3 Probably but be aware that she is round bilge and will roll, you wont get the same stability as a yacht due to the breaking effect of the sail and keel.

Good luck, I was quite taken with the one I looked at on the East coast.

Tom

sarabande is offline Registered User

what a fine, tidy, and clean vessel ! Go for it.

I note she has bilge plates which will reduce rolling.

Perkins 4108 - spares available everywhere and cheap.

Used sensibly in reasonable weather (i.e. don't challenge Corryvreckan in full flow!), she looks a good coastal cruiser.

A sailing boat of the same length will tough out really bad conditions more ably, but with a biggish engine you should be able to seek shelter before the wind arrives.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

PCUK is online now Registered User

Nothing to stop you adding a steadying sail which will reduce rolling and also enhance her looks!

Great little boats very seaworthy, use about 1gph at 6knts as already quoted. Ideal for the Scottish Isles as that was what it was designed for, if you search old MBM's there was a story of a couple who took one right round the UK.

PCUK is online now Registered User

Chris, I was doing the same the same thing and met them on several occasions on the way. She was the skipper and he ran around as the crew. Worked very well.

Thanks all for your responses, I do think she is remarkably pretty. And the permanent 'double' bed looks mighty useful.

As a very inexperienced boat person, perhaps I would feel more secure in a cat or a motor sailor.

I cannot find any reference to a round Britain journey on the MBM website.

I have a northerner, and would not swap her.....unless I won the lottery! Yeah, she rolls a bit, but hey, what boats don't roll? I'm also using a gallon an hour with my BMC. I've taken her from Ramsey (Isle of Man) to Whitehaven several times without problem. Came home heading into a gale force 6 and she handled it fine. I'd certainly recommend a northerner!
    Always seem to be waiting for the tide.

sarabande is offline Registered User

a pednat writes: ( )

err, "gale force 6" ?

"Gales" start at F7, and there's nearly 8 kts difference in wind speed between F6 and F7.

In terms of wind pressure that's more than 60 Newtons per sq meter.

But yes, the Northerners are really tough boats, and the one for sale is particularly attractive.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    a pednat writes: ( )

err, "gale force 6" ?

"Gales" start at F7, and there's nearly 8 kts difference in wind speed between F6 and F7.

In terms of wind pressure that's more than 60 Newtons per sq meter.

But yes, the Northerners are really tough boats, and the one for sale is particularly attractive.
    Dear Pednat.

"Gale force 6" is known as "the Yachtsman's Gale". It's to do with us only having lickle boats like.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/