Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Well they certainly seem well respected.

As I mentioned earlier, I have very little experience and it is limited to the Lancaster canal and a sports cruiser on the Mar Menor, Costa Blanca. The boat advertised seems to missing items that other boats seem to have, like a depth meter and an autopilot, are these necessary?

There is no mention of a fridge, could it be that it has no fridge?

Thanks again.

PCUK is offline Registered User

Let's be pedantic. Gales start at 8. 7 is a near gale so not a gale.
    As for Capt Daz's list, none of the above is of any importance whatsoever when buying a boat. A fridge is the absolutely least important thing on the boat. Everything can be fitted later as required. You buy the boat for what it is. What it has is decided by the final price.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Daz View Post

As I mentioned earlier, I have very little experience and it is limited to the Lancaster canal and a sports cruiser on the Mar Menor, Costa Blanca. The boat advertised seems to missing items that other boats seem to have, like a depth meter and an autopilot, are these necessary?

Thanks again.
    It has Gps,Radar and a depth sounder(Fishfinder) you could fit a fridge yourself that boat looks to be in great condition which is more important than a few toys
    "It was the crew's fault"

Quote Originally Posted by JKay View Post
    It has Gps,Radar and a depth sounder(Fishfinder) you could fit a fridge yourself that boat looks to be in great condition which is more important than a few toys
    What could be more important than a fridge?

Thanks for the reply, I did not know the fishfinder acred as a depth meter.

Quote Originally Posted by PCUK View Post
    Let's be pedantic. Gales start at 8. 7 is a near gale so not a gale.
    As for Capt Daz's list, none of the above is of any importance whatsoever when buying a boat. A fridge is the absolutely least important thing on the boat. Everything can be fitted later as required. You buy the boat for what it is. What it has is decided by the final price.
    I appreciate that, I was asking what things it would need buying for it.,

Talking

I'm Sorry that my slight 'err' on the Beaufort scale, could overtake the main topic of the thread!!! :-p

I should have wrote Beaufort wind scale 6, strong breeze and sea state rough!!!

Getting back, if your new to boating, be sure to have a couple of runs out in her, take somebody who knows boats for an un biased opinion, and see if she has a survey. Also track down other owners an get their opinions too. I can't rate my old girl high enough!
    Always seem to be waiting for the tide.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Daz View Post

Thanks again.
    Nothing is actually "Needed" for pottering round, if you take care & stick to the blue bits on the chart in good weather. With bilge plates she should hold a course long enough to put the kettle on or pop to the loo. But on longer passages, especially if solo, an autopilot is very useful. Fishfiders are echo sounders with a pictorial display that shows a rolling picture of the bottom plus any shoals of fish under you. Fridge? A bucket of sea water with a cloth dipped in the water & draped over the side will keep milk cool for a day or so.

More important is condition of engine, hull etc. things that are not easy (or cheap) to fix if they go wrong. Beware of buying a dream that turns into a nightmare - go on sea trial believing it's rubbish & let it prove otherwise.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

Dead right Searush. After all the thread drift and opinions so far I think Daz can be pretty confident that the overall opinion is go for it! These are great boats and if it is as good as it looks you will be very happy.

I agree, the general gist is to go for it.

I would not consider buying anything without a survey.

I live in the North West but had a revelation last night to moor any boat I buy up in Scotland, where I would want to sail her.

Any opinions on this?

Makes sense!