Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

A project is at the opposite end of 'wants' to a fridge.

If you DIY you can personalize the fridge into an existing closet/cupboard or whatever:

A genuine solution with compressor and all, as a kit:

Very interesting post.
    I’ve been looking at these for a while and had seen the one you’re looking at, although not in the flesh. I think they’re beautiful looking vessels with real class and presence.
    My research suggested installing large bilge plates or even a bilge keel - a bit costly but it would calm the rolling no end.
    If I ever do go down this route, I’d look to use her in coastal waters as well as rivers, so stability would be key.
    How are you getting on – have you made any decisions?

Very envious,
    John

My research suggested installing large bilge plates or even a bilge keel - a bit costly but it would calm the rolling no end.

The Boat the OP is looking at has plates already
    "It was the crew's fault"

That being the case, sea going shouldn’t be too bad.
    I live near Greenway, Agatha Christies old place, and I always feel one of these should be permanently moored on the river with the house on the hill in the background.
    Never mind, I'll stick to my speed boat for now

nedmin is offline Registered User

I,m fairly sure that Colvic Northerners were built in John Morgans boatyard at West Stockwith which is where the Chesterfield Canal meets the R.Trent.Fitted out on a Colvic hull.The owner of the boatyard,John Morgan was or is one hell of a character.He left West Stockwith to live in the Isle of Man and he then moved to the North East and I,m not sure if he,s still alive.He was out in an ex naval pinnace when the disastrous Fastnet race was on.Had a very interesting night in his company many years ago.Pity he didnt write a book about his life.

Divemaster1 is online now Registered User

Rescued one in the Minch a couple of years back.... three generations onboard...

Engine problem (air in fuel system) and failed steering, so were drifting towards rocks in about F4....

Managed to get line onboard and towed in to Portree and repairs were apparently carried out ...

They continued on to Stornoway the following morning....

Looked like a capable boat, and well suited for coastal cruising...
    Regards, Alf

I've stopped drinking water .... I have seen what it does to the bottom of our boat!

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppy View Post
    Very interesting post.
    I’ve been looking at these for a while and had seen the one you’re looking at, although not in the flesh. I think they’re beautiful looking vessels with real class and presence.
    If I ever do go down this route, I’d look to use her in coastal waters as well as rivers, so stability would be key.
    How are you getting on – have you made any decisions?

Very envious,
    John
    I am certainly smitten, like you I think it is a beauty, but I am waiting for my house sale to complete before I go any further and I still do not know what my long term plans are yet.

I may have to buy a boat, do the Scotland thing and sell her again.

After reading the 'round Britain' thread I have decided I shall do the bit everyone seems to miss out. Up the Caledonian Canal, round the top including the Shetlands and Orkney, and then mince around the west coast islands.

But having not sailed off-shore before I need to feel safe. My original plan was a Catalac 8 or 9 metre catamaran, mainly for safety and also for the economy of being able to sail without using fuel. But if this little baby only guzzles a gallon an hour then the fuel bill becomes bearable.

The downside of that plan was that I would have to learn about wind and sails. I do not find this too daunting but there is a chance I could possibly be doing most of the trip under power, so a part of me just says 'ah, suck it up, if diesel is the only option you have then you cannot choose badly'.

The cost is also important, the £13k this might cost is nearly a third of what I was going to buy a cat for (I also considered a motor sailor) and judging by the positive response on here I would not have too much problem selling her.

And if I was to keep her, and keep her moored in Preston, I can get on the Leeds/Liverpool and the Lancaster canals, which I certainly would not do with a cat.

Hmmmmmmm

No, I haven't decided

Keep out of the "Merry Men of Mey", Pentland race & other overfalls if you go over the top of Scotland in that! If not, you may need seatbelts to keep you at the helm.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Searush View Post
    Keep out of the "Merry Men of Mey", Pentland race & other overfalls if you go over the top of Scotland in that! If not, you may need seatbelts to keep you at the helm.
    Bloody Nora!!!!!!!!

*Buys camper van*