Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Quote Originally Posted by AndieMac View Post
    I think the Minch can get a bit moody as well Daz , these types of waterways are probably to boaters, like Mt. Everest is to mountaineers.
    Well I am definitely doing the West coast in something that floats, if I have to sit there drinking brandy for six months, waiting for the perfect day, I will still do it.

I am not too adventurous, and I do not climb mountains 'because they are there' , but I have vowed that I will see this beautiful part of the world by boat and that is what I shall do.

(I am being drawn back into catamaran territory because of their seakeeping and their ability to beach)

AndieMac is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Daz View Post
    (I am being drawn back into catamaran territory because of their seakeeping and their ability to beach)
    Just something to consider Daz, do a bit of research into marina mooring and slipping options where you intend to keep her and the various cruising areas, if that is the intention.
    Berthage could be expensive or availability limited because of the wide beam, especially in small harbours.
    Think about hiring one for a holiday before committing yourself, you may find them over rated stability wise.

Default colvic notherner

i just got myself one of these. i did plan on looking at the one in preston, but i ended getting one from conwy, which is where i keep her.
    first, mine has a fridge, under the helm seat, unless im motoring i have it off as it is noisy.
    its a great boat, mine is fitted out well has a refleks heater which is great uses hardly any fuel. hot cold running water, shower. i am very pleased with her, and think i have fantanstic value for money
    has a bmc 1.5. uses no fuel and is resonably quite.
    only had it out a couple of times, handlys estuary well, although crossing it with sea abeam makes her roll. 5/6 knts crusing speed 1500 to 2000 revs
    i had a survey (ct marine north wales) 300 cos of marina contractors fee.
    he picked up on some osmosis. 5p size blisters. his advice was just to pull it out regular and let it dry out. he also said the hulls are alot thicker than they need to be.
    all in all i looking forward to this year, and not having money for a pint when i get to places, rather than putting 15 an hour in the johnson 90 that i had last year.

Quote Originally Posted by futuresolution View Post
    i just got myself one of these. i did plan on looking at the one in preston, but i ended getting one from conwy, which is where i keep her.
    first, mine has a fridge, under the helm seat, unless im motoring i have it off as it is noisy.
    its a great boat, mine is fitted out well has a refleks heater which is great uses hardly any fuel. hot cold running water, shower. i am very pleased with her, and think i have fantanstic value for money
    has a bmc 1.5. uses no fuel and is resonably quite.
    only had it out a couple of times, handlys estuary well, although crossing it with sea abeam makes her roll. 5/6 knts crusing speed 1500 to 2000 revs
    i had a survey (ct marine north wales) 300 cos of marina contractors fee.
    he picked up on some osmosis. 5p size blisters. his advice was just to pull it out regular and let it dry out. he also said the hulls are alot thicker than they need to be.
    all in all i looking forward to this year, and not having money for a pint when i get to places, rather than putting 15 an hour in the johnson 90 that i had last year.
    Thanks for posting, I am glad you are happy with your boat. They really are lovely looking pieces of kit and they seem to be very VERY well regarded.

However.

Is it the boat for me?
    At the moment I am selling my house, which will give me the cash to buy a boat, and leave me homeless.
    So maybe I can solve my homeless crisis and my traverse Scotland desire by buying this beauty.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1507695750...#ht_500wt_1287

But would I be able to sell it?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Daz View Post
    Well I am definitely doing the West coast in something that floats, if I have to sit there drinking brandy for six months, waiting for the perfect day, I will still do it.

I am not too adventurous, and I do not climb mountains 'because they are there' , but I have vowed that I will see this beautiful part of the world by boat and that is what I shall do.

Brandy? in Scotland? Uisghe vha (sp?) or whisky would be more appropriate & available!

Be aware that there are relatively few places up there that lend themselves to beaching. Tides are generally quite small & coastline is often rocky. There are some fabulous beaches, but many of them are probably more suited to surfing than beaching. Visitor moorings are relatively common in the main tourist spots but anchoring is the best option as marinas are quite far apart & often right up at the sheltered end of sea lochs.

Get yourself a couple of Clyde Cruising guides to help you get to know the area. We went to the Clyde to spend a few weeks pottering around & ended up there for 3 years before moving on & never got bored.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/