Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DavidJ is offline Registered User

Default GPS Tracker for 50-100

Just reading MB&Y March addition and page 90 (top RHS) implies that you can buy a GPS Tracker for 50-100
    Has anyone got one? and do you have to subscribe to 3G or GPRS or such like (My boat's in Spain)
    I've done some searching but can't find such a cheap and cheerful product.

SteveE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasie 19 View Post
    Just under a 100....

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php...armin-gps-72-h

...this what they were referring to??
    I have one of those, cost me a lot more than 100.00 works really well, even in the car...
    Easy to use CAD www.xisis.net

nimbusgb is offline Registered User

I have several. 1 in each of 2 cars and one on the boat. Here's one for http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPS-GSM-GP...item4aad3c14b8

You need to get a PAYG sim card. Get one that you can top up from a land line so you can do it from the UK or a cheap monthly contract.

The device will do tracking via SMS or via a 3G internet link. It's actually quite easy to set up to have you boat permanently sending gps position to a remote server every 10 seconds or so. Doing it this way fits well inside the data allowance with most sim cards.
    Last edited by nimbusgb; 19-02-12 at 16:21.
    For Sale by Owner. 35000 http://cariad.imolesworth.info

That's amazing Nimbus
    Did you use the oil sensor option?
    How do you read the location, a point on google earth or just data from a server.
    Any idea how long, say, a 10mb top up would last? or how much a month it costs for data.

Steve and Fantasie thanks for your replies but it was the security tracker I was after, perhaps my original request was not explicit enough.

David, I have just got a new Blackberry and it like my iPhone has the new tracking software on it, if you hid a Blackberry on the boat and had it constantly connected to a battery all you would need is a cheap BB 100, and a PAYG simm card with 10 on it, if the boat was stolen, by default so would the phone, and BB would track its location?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    David, I have just got a new Blackberry and it like my iPhone has the new tracking software on it, if you hid a Blackberry on the boat and had it constantly connected to a battery all you would need is a cheap BB 100, and a PAYG simm card with 10 on it, if the boat was stolen, by default so would the phone, and BB would track its location?
    Ah! now that's interesting. I have played with the "find iphone" function on my iphone but hiding an iphone would be too expensive. I guess you track the BB on your PC and that the app isn't available on Apple products....or maybe it is?

Here is the iPhone version: http://iphone.appstorm.net/general/a...-or-ipad-free/

BB do one like this, it uses the 3G to locate, and BB's are cheaper than iPhones, and apparently you can track via a PC?

Last week a local was in court for receiving stolen goods - an Ipad. The 15 year old owner had used this app and tracked down the unit, following a burglary at his home, to outside a house about half a mile away. Called the police and two Ipads were recovered - so it definitely works!

nimbusgb is offline Registered User

I send out data every minute. About 100 bytes are transmitted ( speed, position ID etc ). There is some overhead in maintaining the 3g connection but a months worth is a couple of meg. In the uk i have multiple vodafone contracts for family phones and I got a deal on mobile data cards for 5 / month for 1 gig - much much more than required to listen in to a device every second of the day.

The raw message can just be read and cut and pasted into google maps to give you position.

I have a few bits of Java that run on a server and allow me to log in and see where the boat is / has been.

It wouldn't take much to give your unit access to the server and you could use it to translate your signals if you want.

Using a phone is ok but not quite as simple and twice the cost. In addition the ebay units allow you to 'listen-in' to who is on your boat! I have not used the panic button or oil pressure input beyond testing them. I reckon if my boat moves while I'm not there it's being nicked so not much point!
    Last edited by nimbusgb; 20-02-12 at 09:06.
    For Sale by Owner. 35000 http://cariad.imolesworth.info

Thanks guys and Nimbus for your very detailed reply, much appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast