Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ACE is offline Registered User

David, have a look at this ... Slightly more expensive but works a treat....

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...=67686&ra=true

DavidJ is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    David, have a look at this ... Slightly more expensive but works a treat....

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...=67686&ra=true
    Thanks ACE. I also found this one for 150 which has motion tracking activation which would save on SIM card costs and may also mean that the battery may retain enough charge so that you don't have to connect it to the main batteries.
    I think you can interrogated it from an iphone "on demand"
    I like the "works straight out of the box" concept but I think you buy top-ups from them...at what cost?

http://www.gotek7.com/gotek7plus.php
    Last edited by DavidJ; 21-02-12 at 09:58.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    Thanks ACE. I also found this one for 150 which has motion tracking activation which would save on SIM card costs and may also mean that the battery may retain enough charge so that you don't have to connect it to the main batteries.
    I think you can interrogated it from an iphone "on demand"
    I like the "works straight out of the box" concept but I think you buy top-ups from them...at what cost?

http://www.gotek7.com/gotek7plus.php

Dave

As it says it works direct from the box (with a little charging) no sim card required and no top up required all I had to do was upgrade to the Deluxe Tracking Service Plan at a cost of 5.00 (You dont have to do this ...) which allows for things like email/text notifications and 50 hours available of continuous monitoring AND it even allows you to set a speed at above which it will text you.

You can set a "home" area in which the item goes to sleep and draws little power and only wakes up if moved out with that area.....

I tried this out recently on my car going from Aberdeen to Bradford it work at treat and I received text every time it went about 75 mph .....

Quite impressed with the little thing actually........

PS. You get an iPad / iPhone app which is free and you can interigate it anywhere you have an internet or 3G connection

Dave

As it says it works direct from the box (with a little charging) no sim card required and no top up required all I had to do was upgrade to the Deluxe Tracking Service Plan at a cost of 5.00 (You dont have to do this ...) which allows for things like email/text notifications and 50 hours available of continuous monitoring AND it even allows you to set a speed at above which it will text you.

You can set a "home" area in which the item goes to sleep and draws little power and only wakes up if moved out with that area.....

I tried this out recently on my car going from Aberdeen to Bradford it work at treat and I received text every time it went about 75 mph .....

Quite impressed with the little thing actually........

PS. You get an iPad / iPhone app which is free and you can interigate it anywhere you have an internet or 3G connection
    Brillient!
    On the ipad will it actually pinpoint on google earth (or similar) the location or just give co-ordinants?

Brillient!
    On the ipad will it actually pinpoint on google earth (or similar) the location or just give co-ordinants?

Google Earth as clear as day ...... If you want and it helps I can show you tomorrow/Thursday as my motor is about to be moved back home so you can watch it as we go .......

PS. It was so precise this morning that when they moved it from on side of the warehouse to the other it showed it ...... (If this is what we have available it scares me to think what is out there that we dont know about !!)

Google Earth as clear as day ...... If you want and it helps I can show you tomorrow/Thursday as my motor is about to be moved back home so you can watch it as we go .......

PS. It was so precise this morning that when they moved it from on side of the warehouse to the other it showed it ...... (If this is what we have available it scares me to think what is out there that we dont know about !!)
    I'd love to see it in practice. just to clarify are we talking the Garmin unit or the Gotek.

I'd love to see it in practice. just to clarify are we talking the Garmin unit or the Gotek.

David

I'm talking about the Garmin GTU10 unit ....

http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/to...min-gtu-10.htm

mikef is online now Registered User

I'm talking about the Garmin GTU10 unit ....

http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/to...min-gtu-10.htm
    ACE, where can you locate this unit? For example, could you leave it hidden in your boat or does it need line of sight to satellites? Could you permanently wire it up to a 12V supply?

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    ACE, where can you locate this unit? For example, could you leave it hidden in your boat or does it need line of sight to satellites? Could you permanently wire it up to a 12V supply?

Mike

Currently its installed in the back of my RR totally hidden away (even I couldnt find it when I went to look after installation) The web page shows you at all times the signal strength and the GPS Signal Strength and the cell strength, latitude and longitude (See photo).

It can be just placed somewhere if its a daily thing (but need regular recharging) or it can be fitted as I have direct into continuous power** (The leads for that are about 20.00) if its hot wired it can send back info on speed (it doesnt do that if not permanently connected)

See pictures ..

mikef is online now Registered User

Mike

Currently its installed in the back of my RR totally hidden away (even I couldnt find it when I went to look after installation) The web page shows you at all times the signal strength and the GPS Signal Strength and the cell strength, latitude and longitude (See photo).

It can be just placed somewhere if its a daily thing (but need regular recharging) or it can be fitted as I have direct into continuous power** (The leads for that are about 20.00) if its hot wired it can send back info on speed (it doesnt do that if not permanently connected)

See pictures ..
    Thanks ACE. It looks like the kind of thing I could install in a hidden place on my boat and permanently wire it to the 12V system, in which case it could be v useful