Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vas is offline Registered User

indeed very useful, however I may be thick, but I cannot figure out how it works and what it charges you.

It DOES pick up signal from GPS satelites = FREE
    it DOES communicate with you via cell phone tech. 2G, 3G, whatever = NOT free

how does it do it without a sim?
    Hardcoded to a service provided by garmin and charging $ per year?
    How does it work if you buy in UK and use it elsewhere?

vas is offline Registered User

ah!

and it would be the perfect anchor alarm

ACE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by virtuvas View Post
    indeed very useful, however I may be thick, but I cannot figure out how it works and what it charges you.

It DOES pick up signal from GPS satelites = FREE
    it DOES communicate with you via cell phone tech. 2G, 3G, whatever = NOT free

how does it do it without a sim?
    Hardcoded to a service provided by garmin and charging $ per year?
    How does it work if you buy in UK and use it elsewhere?

Virtuvas,

I bought it in the UK and my RR will be back in Spain after getting some mods done shortly so I will find out then but I am assured it works just the same ???? will know shortly though ...

I dont understand the technology but its very similar to their Golf and hill walking products that tell you wahere you are at any specific time.

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/GTU10_OM_EN.pdf

After purchase you really dont have to do anything else it works straight from the box. I upgraded at the cost of 5 (was actually about 4.33 or something, this is per month) to the deluxe tracking package which gives you a little more information and more tracking. BUT you dont really need to do that ....

it DOES communicate with you via cell phone tech. 2G, 3G, whatever = NOT free ...Unfortunately I cant answer this question as ALL ive had to pay in addition was the upgrade to delux tracking at a cost of 5.00. Maybe someone else on the forum has the answer ?????? I am restricted to something like 50 text messages a month ? but as I didnt expect many this was not going to be a problem.

My intention is to fit one to the boat in Spain when I go down I already have something on board similar but it just gives coordinates I like this because of the google map and that it can do tracking at various intervals from 1 hour to every 30 seconds !!

FYI: The Ebay trackers have been discussed extensively on RIB.NET
    Cookee
    BananaShark Ltd www.bananasharkracing.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123