Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Improving boat speed?

In the winter I sail j80's. Come crane in time our current cruiser feels sluggish and slow and we always end up motoring in anything under 10knots as we only make 1.5-2 knots.

To put it in prospective I was sailing a j80 against a knot of tide in 3 knots of wind today upwind and we were very slowly pushing the tide. probably making a knot Over the ground.

Our boat weighs 700kg more then a j80 and is near as damit the same length and LWL (3 bladed prop hunter horizon 26 twin keel)

Our current sails are pretty shot. I plan on getting a fully battened main. we have a reasonable symmetric spinnaker. But May also purchase a second hand cruising chute with snuffer as I singlehand most of the time.

What other steps can I take for a bit more OOMPH?
    I know I will never get the performance of a j80 and i don't really want a racey fast boat otherwise I would buy a figaro or something similar (if I had the money )

Thanks

awol is offline Registered User

Simple - just double your sail area to displacement ratio! So taller mast, bigger sails and throw away anything that isn't essential to sailing...... or just sail the J80.

BAtoo is offline Registered User

New sails.
    Folding prop.
    Smooth bottom.
    Chuck out all the excess weight.

Might be worth thinking about your foresail. When we went for a furling foresail, discussion with the sailmaker revealed that we could take one about a yard longer than the old one. It made for a big difference in performance.
    On the internet no one knows you are a donkey.

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Simple - just double your sail area to displacement ratio! So taller mast, bigger sails and throw away anything that isn't essential to sailing...... or just sail the J80.
    sounds a brill idea if I had deep pockets!

Quote Originally Posted by BAtoo View Post
    New sails.
    Folding prop.
    Smooth bottom.
    Chuck out all the excess weight.
    Thanks or that I'm looking into folding props just a lot of a lot money.

Quote Originally Posted by guernseyman View Post
    Might be worth thinking about your foresail. When we went for a furling foresail, discussion with the sailmaker revealed that we could take one about a yard longer than the old one. It made for a big difference in performance.
    Would vertical battens back a difference to or not worth it?

ianat182 is offline Registered User

You could try checking the boat trim, after you've moved all the weight from the ends.
    Try a spirit level at or about the mast foot fore and aft, then check lateral trim as well. Dynamic lift on the hull will often raise the bow, depressing the stern quarters, so allow for a slight change when you return to the cockpit with the rest of the normal crew weight.

Adjust the weight to as near the keel area first and move as necessay to trim level.

Sailing dinghies years ago we did this as part of our setup to find the best sitting-out positions after watching some video of us racing poorly. It made a difference.

ianat182

bammylovechops is offline Registered User

What other steps can I take for a bit more OOMPH?
    Thanks[/QUOTE]

How about of a pair of Volvo Penta 170hp inboards
    It is better to have memories than dreams.

Default here is a great plan

I have a cure for all your ailments

borrow the slug for a day

your view of the crucial speed to happiness ratio will be transformed

this is a service available to all those afflicted with this terrible burden

Dylan
    Last edited by dylanwinter; 19-02-12 at 21:28.

SAWDOC is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tom_sail View Post
    In the winter I sail j80's. Come crane in time our current cruiser feels sluggish and slow and we always end up motoring in anything under 10knots as we only make 1.5-2 knots.

Our boat weighs 700kg more then a j80 and is near as damit the same length and LWL (3 bladed prop hunter horizon 26 twin keel)

Thanks

It reads like you have outgrown your boat.
    You can spend money on new sails and polish your hull as best you can between now and April but a twin keel 26 footer is never going to be a very fast boat. Sell up and buy a 30 -33 foot fin keeler if your situation allows. I wouldn't waste money in your circumstance on a folding prop.
    Alternatively take Dylan's advice, change your attitude and learn to enjoy a slower boat!

Robin is offline Registered User

The key is never to sail on or against a faster boat, but that is surely too late because the rot has set in. Twin keel, 3 bladed prop, knackered sails are all downers, but even if you cut off a keel, fitted a folder and bought some decent sails it would still be slow against a performance boat because you also need a taller rig, deeper keel and a better designer. Do you have a friendly bank manager?
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!