Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Anchor

Default Which Anchor

Having had limited success in anchoring with a CQR i thought id give alternative a try. She's a cat and mainly south coast based. Dont get me wrong i have had some success but always seem to drag in heavily used areas

some of you may have seen me pass, just inside the beaulieu river

cheers

I may be wrong but not always

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

We tend not to discuss anchors around here, the bruises take a long time to heal!

If you have several days to spare to catch up on reading, enter the following into a Google search box. (anchor recommendation ybw.com)
    Next time, it'll all be different.

yoda is offline Registered User

The 2 people I know with Spade anchors swear by them (and they both use all chain rode).

Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by yoda View Post
    The 2 people I know with Spade anchors swear by them (and they both use all chain rode).

Yoda
    I suppose if they were "spayed" it might stop further replies breeding.

I wonder who will add "it all depends on...". Well almost everything actually.

Even so, I hope that the OP does get some useful information (even if it is just a list of a few previous anchor posts).

Hamma is offline Registered User

Asking which anchor: YBW equivalent of Godwin's law.

Quote Originally Posted by oakleyb View Post
    Having had limited success in anchoring with a CQR i thought id give alternative a try. She's a cat and mainly south coast based. Dont get me wrong i have had some success but always seem to drag in heavily used areas

cheers
    Without getting into a bunfight about which 'next generation' anchor is best, it is of course true that the CQR is a perfectly good anchor that has served as the primary anchor for 1,000s of yotties for many years. The right CQR, used correctly will work very well so you might want to persist with it a little longer. Are you using a bridle on your cat? How are you ensuring it is set ? Perhaps convert this to a thread on anchoring technique rather than anchors and you MAY get a consensus without blood on the walls.

Just a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by oakleyb View Post

cheers
    In heavily used areas the CQR can be a poor performing anchor compared to less used areas. The sea bed becomes so disturbed that the required stiffness of the mud to hold an anchor is not suitable for the CQR design; it ploughs rather easily!

I would suggest that you purchase a low cost Danforth and experiment with that in the heavily used areas before committing to any new design and associated expense.
    Having time is unavoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by whipper_snapper View Post
    Without getting into a bunfight about which 'next generation' anchor is best, it is of course true that the CQR is a perfectly good anchor that has served as the primary anchor for 1,000s of yotties for many years. The right CQR, used correctly will work very well so you might want to persist with it a little longer. Are you using a bridle on your cat? How are you ensuring it is set ? Perhaps convert this to a thread on anchoring technique rather than anchors and you MAY get a consensus without blood on the walls.

Just a thought!
    virtually all new Oysters have a CQR Bower
    I may be wrong but not always

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    virtually all new Oysters have a CQR Bower
    Ah, wondered where all the CQR's go to that have been discarded, I've got one in my cockpit locker, wonder how much they'll give me for it