Default Johnson 5HP 2 stroke 1997

I hope to shortly aquire a 5hp Johnson twin to be used for flubber power and as a back up motor for our Trapper TS240.

Question for the Johnson 2T experts including Vics and our antipodean friend.

I am 99% sure this engine has a lot in common with the 6hp and is just a strangled/downrated version. I don't yet have the serial number to confirm this.

I have done a quick survey of the parts lists and it appears it is just jetting that is different. Is there anything else I have missed. IgnitionBox?

Also I am looking at the possibility of adding a stator and rectifier to give a little charging help to the solar panels.

I would be most grateful if anybody can tell me I am on the right track.

Steve

VicS is offline Registered User

I dont see anything other than the carb jets.

It would be worth checking that there is nothing that limits the throttle movement on the 5HP. Check that the butterfly valve goes to the fully open position.

There is/was a battery charging kit including the stator coil, the (4wire) rectifier and all the miscellaneous bits and pieces

Go to http://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E...9-87a4efbcb599
    Select OB accessories from the drop down list. then the year then electrical then battery charging kit 5,6,8

The battery charging kit will hardly be worth the expense or the trouble in fitting unless you will be running the engine at a good speed for prolonged periods... You'd be better buying a bigger solar panel IMHO

Lakesailor is offline Registered User

If it's only a back-up why bother with the charging bit. It'll cost you too much.
    Same with the power output. It'll only be available at WOT. How often do you run at WOT?

William_H is offline Registered User

Default Johnson 5HP

Yes the old 6hp is a motor I know fairly well. However it is heavy. I would think one of the tiny single cylinder 2 strokes would be best for flubbber power. (I presume this means pushing the inflatable.)
    The 5HP Johnson will be good for pushing the Trapper (is that 24ft?) You will need a long shaft however. But if it is only as a spare for the Trapper then again light weight is more important than anything else.
    The Johnson with 2 cylinders is vastly smoother/ quieter than a single so is good if you are expecting to motor some distance but it is heavy.Especially to bring out and fit in a sea way. For the same reasons I would agree with Vic that the charge kit is probably not worth buying. Is the charge kit any better than the lighting kit? The lighting kit being pretty hopeless for battery charging. If you don't use the engine much on the boat it is of little use anyway. good luck olewill

Thanks for your all your help.

I will probably be needing full throttle most of the time as we will based on the Menai Strait this year

I understand your comments regarding weight and I am fortunate to have a lightweight 4 Hp Johnson for the inflatable. This IMHO is the best motor given the power to weight ratio for a lightweight tender.

The conversion to 6hp looks easy. I dont need a long shaft as the Trapper Ts 240 has a well suitable for standard shaft OB.

The electrical conversion is not absolutely necessary but if the bits were available cheaply will give me a back up option and

I could then fit underwater lights to the dinghy

I would just love to see the look on Rushies face!

Lakesailor is offline Registered User

Sounds like you've made up your mind anyway.