Default Best clear varnish or lacquer for Cherry veneer?

Boat is mostly in cherry either solid or veneered, with a few parts done in contrasting darker teak.

Redoing some of the interior finish which is a light golden colour... All of the clear varnishes I find have slight pigmentation that darkens the wood. What I want is the colour of the wood when I wipe it with thinners!

Any ideas?
    Last edited by savageseadog; 20-02-12 at 09:30.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Osmo PolyX hard wax oil, assuming you have completely removed the existing finish. Brush on, wipe off surplus after half an hour. Repeat the next day. Maybe a third coat in high wear areas. Expensive, but the best oil finish I have ever used for interior work.

northwind is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by srp View Post
    Osmo PolyX hard wax oil, assuming you have completely removed the existing finish. Brush on, wipe off surplus after half an hour. Repeat the next day. Maybe a third coat in high wear areas. Expensive, but the best oil finish I have ever used for interior work.
    +1

I hadn't thought about using it on the boat, but I use it for furniture, you can apply it either with a cloth or brush.

prv is offline Registered User

Must say that I've not noticed Epifanes darkening things - a wipe with thinners seems to be a pretty good approximation of how it will end up looking. But perhaps you've checked more carefully than I have.

Pete