Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default What colour wires do I want ?

Hi,

I've got a few wiring projects lined up and some of them require 3-core wire. I don't want to buy actual 3-core because it's more economical to buy reels of single core and make it up with heatshrink ties along its length.

My question is what colour do I want in addition to the red and black I definitely need ? The wire will be used in applications with multiple positives like auto/manual bilge pumps and tricolour nav lights. To be more specific I am asking if there is any kind of standard in use ?

Thanks,

Boo2
    Last edited by Boo2; 20-02-12 at 01:22.

prv is offline Registered User

For what it's worth, the three core I used for my bilge switch was red, black, and green. Seems logical to me for the "other positive" to be the opposite colour to the normal positive.

I'm not aware of a standard.

Pete

nigelmercier is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Boo2 View Post
    I am asking if there is any kind of standard in use...
    On my boat, many of the manufacturer's ground wires are blue, and all the lighting positives are white. You can invent your own colour code with coloured heat-shrink or markers on the ends.
    Nigel
    FREE Bavaria Yacht Forum: www.bavariayacht.info

Ruffles is offline Registered User

My tricolour seems to have been wired with American mains cable. White, black and green. Quite a neat idea really as presumably it is cheap. And the conductors are tinned!

Quote Originally Posted by Boo2 View Post
    Hi,

I've got a few wiring projects lined up and some of them require 3-core wire. I don't want to buy actual 3-core because it's more economical to buy reels of single core and make it up with heatshrink ties along its length.

My question is what colour do I want in addition to the red and black I definitely need ? The wire will be used in applications with multiple positives like auto/manual bilge pumps and tricolour nav lights. To be more specific I am asking if there is any kind of standard in use ?

Thanks,

Boo2
    I would have thought all +Ve would be red, 0V black and -Ve blue.

Cores should have cable ID's, if like this you would know what voltage to expect when investigating any problems with a meter.

William_H is offline Registered User

Default Colour code of wires

So clearly there is no standard. However most would agree that red is +ve black is -ve. You could then resort to the 3phase AC code of red,blue and yellow or white for different kinds of +ve. So you make up your own code good luck olewill

Whatever system you use be sure to document it with some kind of wiring diagram for if/when it goes wrong :-( or when you want to add some new techy toy :-)

Regards,
    David H.
    http://www.eventoftheyear.co.uk

Standard normally used in UK for DC is: positive volt with ref to 0V - RED

0 Volts - Black

negative volts with ref to 0V - Blue

+ve 12Volts Red and Black
    -ve 12Volts Blue and Black (black being 0Volts)

colind3782 is online now Registered User

There can be an issue with red and green as it's the most common form of colour blindness and some people don't even know they have it as it's more pronounced in certain low light conditions. So mixing red and green cables may not be such a great idea.

prv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by William_H View Post
    You could then resort to the 3phase AC code of red,blue and yellow or white for different kinds of +ve.
    Although that's no longer current here due to European harmonisation.

Pete