Page 28 of 62 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by michaelchapman View Post
    I bet this boat with unstayed masts will beat the pants off the Freedom.

http://www.na.northsails.com/tabid/1...x?news_id=2367

Ok it is a little big bigger
    No new fangled deep keels there then...

And a nice little transom hung rudder...

Next time, it'll all be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post

Damn - you beat me to it!

Robin is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ksutton View Post
    Vancouver 34C, by Northshore, agree they are not cheap but that still should not an argument for heavy against light displacement choice, as per this thread, or is it. They are still built old way with hull and deck bonded together, so hand fitting out internally with limited access is very labour intensive. Have had one for 9 years and now live on board 8 months a year, nothing broke on it yet.
    The odd thing is that same specification is not too dissimilar to the Jeanneau (OK an oldie from 1988) we had, except that ours was 41ft.

Under 36 foot ours was 41ft, why go small?
    Heavy bomb proof standing and running rigging yes
    Not a high free board yes
    Yanmar engine yes 44hp and with a Brunton prop
    Encapsulated keel no, but then ours could stand nudging coral
    Rudder supported at its base on skeg , no, but half skeg and very solid S/S stock
    Cutter rig yes and with proper running backsyays too
    Large fuel and water tanks fitted low down in the hull and on the yachts centre line large low water tanks, yes, fuel for 400mls but why motor?
    Single fuel tank with an integral lowered sump in its base to take off fuel samples and catch sludge yes
    Plenty of storage also low down in the hull, below the cabin sole or at least at minimal distance above the water line yes
    Wheel steering with direct auto pilot drive to steering mechanism with heavy S/S rod connection to rudder quadrant, (absolutely no chain or wire ropes) We had wire and carried premade spares
    Facility to quickly fit emergency steering tiller yes
    Large chain locker and powerful electric windlass yes
    Plenty of opening cabin port lights yes eleven IIRC
    Plenty of ventilation via dorade vents yes
    Good cabin and hull insulation yes
    Heavily laid up hull yes, entire hull laid up with Kevlar, as per bullet proof vests.
    Easy engine access, underway if necessary yes

Oh and we also had

Substantial granny bars at the mast
    All three slab reefs in the fully battened main handled from the cockpit, one person job to put in or shake out
    Both mainsail and roller headsail in Hydranet Spectra reinforced Dacron.
    Stern gantry/goalposts carrying fixed solar panel and large wind generator.
    Full sprayhood
    Full bimini usable under sail and linking to the sprayhood or standalone, convertible into full cockpit enclosure.
    Very comfortable cockpit underway and at anchor.
    Ability to sail in light winds yet go to windward in a gale
    Ability to keep up decent passage speeds in light winds

Cost? Well, in the region of 60,000, significantly cheaper I would guess than the Vancouver 34, even a well used one.
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post

No - that is not the rudder.

They reversed into the barn door while manouevering her from where she was built down to the water......

I dont know the Jeanneau 41 Sun Legend, in fact in 25 years of ownership I have been happy enough with my yacht to have only had two, a 28 and now the 34. I have though sailed other peoples yachts of various pedigree and short or singled handed I was never happy with a fast performance design. I like the yacht to feel right and give me plenty of advanced warning when she needs a bit of attention. This is why I said under 36' also to keep things well under control while short handed, tired and cold. However I do acknowledge I have never been in a hurry about anything, life is too short.

I did Google for a report of the 41 Sun Legend and it doesn't seem to warrant the side by side comparison that you are trying to make.

Quote:
    Jeaneaus have always struck me as one step below Beneteau on build quality and several steps down on design quality. The Sun Legend 41 is a recycled IOR typeform hull and rig cut down to make a cruising boat of sorts. They represent the kind of thinking that made the IOR rule so notorious, under ballasted, tender and prone to being over powered and wiping out but with poor light air performance.

While these boats have a certain cult following they have never appealled to me. Perhaps some of my distain for these boats comes from watching an acquaintance try to put one back together after being in the charter trade.

To me they are underwhelming and over priced.

rotrax is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SolentBoy View Post
    Despite all that he got it wrong.
    I bet he does not think so- and thats all that really matters.

[QUOTE=Robin;3409175]The odd thing is that same specification is not too dissimilar to the Jeanneau ......

Aye, like two peas in a pod.

rotrax is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Which company please makes these and how much are they?
    Apart from 1 foot 10 inches longer and no fuel tank sump it sounds like our IP.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    The odd thing is that same specification is not too dissimilar to the Jeanneau (OK an oldie from 1988) we had, except that ours was 41ft.

Under 36 foot ours was 41ft, why go small?
    Heavy bomb proof standing and running rigging yes
    Not a high free board yes
    Yanmar engine yes 44hp and with a Brunton prop
    Encapsulated keel no, but then ours could stand nudging coral
    Rudder supported at its base on skeg , no, but half skeg and very solid S/S stock
    Cutter rig yes and with proper running backsyays too
    Large fuel and water tanks fitted low down in the hull and on the yachts centre line large low water tanks, yes, fuel for 400mls but why motor?
    Single fuel tank with an integral lowered sump in its base to take off fuel samples and catch sludge yes
    Plenty of storage also low down in the hull, below the cabin sole or at least at minimal distance above the water line yes
    Wheel steering with direct auto pilot drive to steering mechanism with heavy S/S rod connection to rudder quadrant, (absolutely no chain or wire ropes) We had wire and carried premade spares
    Facility to quickly fit emergency steering tiller yes
    Large chain locker and powerful electric windlass yes
    Plenty of opening cabin port lights yes eleven IIRC
    Plenty of ventilation via dorade vents yes
    Good cabin and hull insulation yes
    Heavily laid up hull yes, entire hull laid up with Kevlar, as per bullet proof vests.
    Easy engine access, underway if necessary yes

Oh and we also had

Substantial granny bars at the mast
    All three slab reefs in the fully battened main handled from the cockpit, one person job to put in or shake out
    Both mainsail and roller headsail in Hydranet Spectra reinforced Dacron.
    Stern gantry/goalposts carrying fixed solar panel and large wind generator.
    Full sprayhood
    Full bimini usable under sail and linking to the sprayhood or standalone, convertible into full cockpit enclosure.
    Very comfortable cockpit underway and at anchor.
    Ability to sail in light winds yet go to windward in a gale
    Ability to keep up decent passage speeds in light winds

Cost? Well, in the region of 60,000, significantly cheaper I would guess than the Vancouver 34, even a well used one.
    I raced a Sun Legende 41 alot twenty plus years ago. Helios was the boat. I have also sailed V34's and it's predecessor the V32. Contrary to modern french production boats the Sun Legende was a well built boat with lots of solid joinery work down below..... however ... to put it in the same category as a Vancouver is rather beyond the mark! Directional stability and balance under sail especially are poles apart particularly if short handed.

Both are lovely boats but are for different markets imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosun Higgs View Post
    Same reason some people prefer to fly biplanes or live in old houses or do anything the identical way their ancestors did - a silly idea that technology hasnt moved on.

Long keels are obsolete. Like steam powered trucks.
    Long keel allows me to do what I like doing - manoeuvering under sail - in my opinion it is best for this.

Now - do you "fly a biplane"? - is your mast stayed? a silly idea that technology hasnt moved on - to the cantilever. Do you need a stayed mast for a tight luff? are you doing it because your ancestors did?

Stayed masts are obsolete. Like...

Page 28 of 62 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast