Page 46 of 62 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast
    rotrax is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dylan View Post
    Well I cheated, a bit.
    She is a Heard28, ten years young this year!
    The hull is GRP the rest is teak. I now let the teak go natural by treating it with Brintons. So no work there either. I pay someone every 3 years to varnish the spars...the only maintenance on the boat.
    A 9ton,recent, fast, agile, long keeled classic.
    She will point 30deg to the apparent wind, who needs a fin
    As for the tender, her power predates Seagulls....oars!
    First Mate and I chartered with a couple of freinds on the Islemeere in Holland. We chose a Cornish Crabbers 30ft. Pilot Cutter. She was a gem and did over 9knts. Not so sweet looking as yours-lovely boat!

Have none of the 'fin-keeler' supporters got a picture of what they think is an attractive yacht?

By the way, I used to think Halberg-Rassey's were good looking boats, and I quite fancied owning one, but then I saw one out of the water and was horrified to see it didn't have a 'proper' keel so I went right off them.
    'The lyf so short
    the arte so long to lerne.'

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    That's a big claim - if its yours then who am I to disagree.

Ouch - I've sailed a boat like that and it was a DOG. Slow, would end up in irons if you weren't really careful, back the stays'l to make sure she comes round... etc Eventually she would settle on her new tack and start accelerating back up to her slug like speed.

And I'm not even a speed freak. I very rarely go racing and certainly don't enjoy radical racy or fat bottomed fin keeled boats very much.
    Symptomatic of the rude and snide comments that unfortunately seem to pervade the forum at present
    Colvic Watson slideshow video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RayUzX7LZQ

john_morris_uk is offline Registered User
    Location : Home near Exeter, work in Hampshire, boat in Plymouth

Quote Originally Posted by The Lazy Kipper View Post
    Symptomatic of the rude and snide comments that unfortunately seem to pervade the forum at present
    Well speaking as one who is often bemoaning people making rude and snide comments, I hope your remarks are not directed at me!

Having been highly complimentary about the appearance of the boat that was pictured - but remarking that the underwater profile was similar to a boat I sailed once that sailed like a dog, I am at a loss...

Presumably we are allowed to speak the truth about sailing boats that we have sailed?
    [B][I]Wishing things away is not effective.[/I][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by parsifal View Post
    Have none of the 'fin-keeler' supporters got a picture of what they think is an attractive yacht?

By the way, I used to think Halberg-Rassey's were good looking boats, and I quite fancied owning one, but then I saw one out of the water and was horrified to see it didn't have a 'proper' keel so I went right off them.
    There are many, many "modern" boats that are "attractive" if by that you mean the looks above the water and are similar to - dare I say it a Twister. Rustler 33, Mystery 35, Fairlie 55, Spirit yachts of various sizes, a whole range of "classic" yachts from various Dutch designers. However none of them have long keels, but fins and spade rudders. On the other hand there are many boats with long keels that look awful above the waterline but have elegant keels and attached rudders.

Equally there are some superb looking fin and skeg of fin and spade boats where the proportions of the topsides are really elegant - Swans, most things S&S or at the more prosaic end (for example) a Sunbeam 34. HR can be very elegant (not all) - but the shape of the keel and underwater is to an extent irrelevant - the sign of a good boat is one that fulfils its design function and is pleasing on the eye.

Often called the RAF (Row away factor) and no individual shape has a monoploly over that, although individual observers may have preferences.
    Last edited by Tranona; 10-03-12 at 11:00.

To get back to John Morris's original musing, what's the fascination with.....17.000 views and counting, someone's interested.

Btw Tranona my last boat fulfilled all the value/space/ok builder/performance criteria ( v fin and spade too) but was just SO ugly that I rebuilt the stern , adding two feet and a tad of sartorial elegance. More RAF and less Ow Gawd!
    Why argue with a nautical wall? I just read the graffiti these days.

"Beauty" really is in the eye of the beholder. I first saw my Eventide moored off Shipstal Point in 1978 and though one day I might own a boat like that. Bought it in 1980 and still have it, and no intention of ever selling. Every time just about that I take it out in the harbour I get admiring reactions.

I also have photos of my Bavaria in various exotic Med locations and still have to pinch myself to remind me that I also own that - and what a great boat it is - not just for the good visual proportions, but for the years of enjoyment I have had - and still have - from it. Will be out sailing on it this weekend, regrettably not in the Med.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    "Beauty" really is in the eye of the beholder. I first saw my Eventide moored off Shipstal Point in 1978 and though one day I might own a boat like that. Bought it in 1980 and still have it, and no intention of ever selling. Every time just about that I take it out in the harbour I get admiring reactions.
    The Eventide just looks 'right' doesn't it? A good Eventide is a fine sight.
    Colvic Watson slideshow video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RayUzX7LZQ

Quote Originally Posted by The Lazy Kipper View Post
    The Eventide just looks 'right' doesn't it? A good Eventide is a fine sight.
    Yes, especially with a blue hull, white stripe and boot topping, red AF and varnished coachroof. when you also drop the keel by nearly a foot and do away with the bilge keels sails reasonably well too!

Quote Originally Posted by parsifal View Post
    hush, i think its a size thing! dont embarrass them in public.
    and whats wrong with an oil tankers turning circle anyway?

Page 46 of 62 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast