Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

mcanderson: Thank you for the link to charges. I hope my reply didn't read as having any sort of a pop at you or your suggestion. I was just really surprised at Granton's lack of shorepower.

Sounds like you have a fin keeler, so I guess there are less options for overnights unless you want to strap your yacht to the wall (not my idea of fun, but I've seen it done).

All the best...
    My Macwester Malin website, blog & photobank http://macwester.wordpress.com

maxi77 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mcanderson View Post
    Maxi77 - Have you been to Welsh's since it moved from Queensferry St? I think its even better than Eddies and that was previously the best IMO.
    No I must admit that I haven't, especially since I became a Fifer.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by yodave View Post
    mcanderson: Thank you for the link to charges. I hope my reply didn't read as having any sort of a pop at you or your suggestion. I was just really surprised at Granton's lack of shorepower.

Sounds like you have a fin keeler, so I guess there are less options for overnights unless you want to strap your yacht to the wall (not my idea of fun, but I've seen it done).

All the best...
    You should try the Anstruther muster and see the fin keelers rafted up leaning agaist the wall. Works fine once you get the hang of it. One year we were lucky and the harbourmaster put us between 2 heavy bilge keelers that worked very well.

As for shorepower at Granton, most local boats are on moorings so they don't have a shorepower system, and I suspect fitting, running and accounting for one was more than the clubs were willing to put up with. If you need shore power then your choices in the Forth are limited.
    Peter

Herald is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=maxi77;3400380]You should try the Anstruther muster and see the fin keelers rafted up leaning agaist the wall. Works fine once you get the hang of it. One year we were lucky and the harbourmaster put us between 2 heavy bilge keelers that worked

We were there this year with our fin keeler which draws 2m. It wasn't too bad as you just tend to sink into the mud, so no precarious angles achieved, thankfully!!

The lack of shore power is a bit of a bugger, but nothing a small generator can't fix.

Maxi77- living Fife you can make up for Welsh's with a nice fish and chips at Anstruther. I loved the Raymond Blanc series when he was showing off the quality of seafood from the Forth and he gets his lobsters from there.

Quote Originally Posted by mcanderson View Post
    The lack of shore power is a bit of a bugger, but nothing a small generator can't fix.

Maxi77- living Fife you can make up for Welsh's with a nice fish and chips at Anstruther. I loved the Raymond Blanc series when he was showing off the quality of seafood from the Forth and he gets his lobsters from there.
    I suspect the lobsters come from Eyemouth, home of the first lobster storage ponds in the UK. It's not just the chippy there are several places round there that do really good fish and seafood, mind you if you are eating your supper outside watch out for the gulls
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by maxi77 View Post
    Eyemouth..... if you are eating your supper outside watch out for the gulls
    .... and the seals.

Default Welsh's fishmongers

Walked past the Queensferry Street store today - its closed!

Quote Originally Posted by ukmctc View Post
    There are a few harbours on the East coast and some of the most amazing scenery there is in the UK
    ??? Where?

- W

Quote Originally Posted by webcraft View Post
    ??? Where?

- W
    Try the Berwickshire coast for a start, or Fife, just because the west is good does not mean it is unique. I have had many enjoyable hours at sea on the west coast in both yachts and black sinking war canoes, but equally enjoy my time on the east coast.
    Peter