Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde_Wanderer View Post
    Never happy.
    Do british sailors who go abroad just up sticks overnight and go without any forethought?
    Knowing that you are going to cross channel etc withen a matter of weeks, months etc would you not have plenty time to either use up your stock of red and fill up with white from your local petrol station or is that too much ****ing work for some of you.

C_W
    I have approx 160 litres of fuel onboard. It is all red. I sail a lot. If I plan (as I had) to go to France in May, I would not use up all of my diesel and certainly would not use the 600+ litres to 'clean out' the tank to the satisfaction of the EU. Additionally, it would take me a number of trips to the local petrol station to walk back with my 5 litre plastic containers. My 'forethought' would have had to start two or three years ago but thanks for the advice.

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

I reckon if you can run down the red fairly low, it'll only take a couple of partial refills to get the red portion down low enough for a full refill to crack it.

Say 10 litres red left. Add 20 litres white. You now have 33% red.

Run that down to 10 litres pink. Add 20 litres white. You now have 11% red.

Run that down to 10 litres. Do a complete fill with white - 90 litres for the sake of easy sums. You're now down to approx 1% red, which is surely 'safe'. And do-able in a shortish time span if you don't start the season with a complete tank of red.
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Quote Originally Posted by dslittle View Post
    I have approx 160 litres of fuel onboard. It is all red. I sail a lot. If I plan (as I had) to go to France in May, I would not use up all of my diesel and certainly would not use the 600+ litres to 'clean out' the tank to the satisfaction of the EU. Additionally, it would take me a number of trips to the local petrol station to walk back with my 5 litre plastic containers. My 'forethought' would have had to start two or three years ago but thanks for the advice.
    And that is where the RYA has let us down with their ill-conceived campaign. The original derogation gave us those two or three years to do it - but under RYA pressure, the HMRC did not enforce it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    I reckon if you can run down the red fairly low, it'll only take a couple of partial refills to get the red portion down low enough for a full refill to crack it.

Run that down to 10 litres. Do a complete fill with white - 90 litres for the sake of easy sums. You're now down to approx 1% red, which is surely 'safe'. And do-able in a shortish time span if you don't start the season with a complete tank of red.
    Yes, your sums seem correct. Trouble is that it required quite large volumes of white diesel and would be extremely difficult to put into practice without a waterside supply.

I think it's time for an FOI request to HMRC to see how much research has been done. It's worrying that their paper doesn't seem to forsee marinas changing to selling white.

Chris_Robb is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post

Ken - but where are you getting the bio free white diesel from? It IS a serious issue for marine usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Robb View Post
    Ken - but where are you getting the bio free white diesel from? It IS a serious issue for marine usage.
    seems likely that the rest of Europe is running mostly on road diesel complete with bio and they are not breaking down all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    seems likely that the rest of Europe is running mostly on road diesel complete with bio and they are not breaking down all over the place.
    Quite so - been running on Euro white for 2 seasons (and 3 UK winters) now. Yet to see any trace of the dreaded diesel bug.
    www.guapa.pn
    Be realistic - aim for the impossible!

Chris_Robb is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    Bio has only gone in last year so the jury is still out.

I have been running on Greek white for 2 years. This year, following BP's advice, I left the tank almost empty. The bio has waxes which sludge out if left standing, especially over winter. I also use vastly more diesel in Greece than I ever did in the UK.
    Last edited by Chris_Robb; 24-02-12 at 10:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Robb View Post
    There must be a reason that it is banned from marine applications or are the oil companies just wrong?
    Not aware of any such ban.
    Have been in contact with Nanni only last week, and they confirmed that my engine would be perfectly happy running on road diesel.
    www.guapa.pn
    Be realistic - aim for the impossible!