Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637 LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 364
  1. #351
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,602

    Default

    I emailed our local marinas about provision of white diesel. They have been sent a release from the RYA stating that red diesel is legal in international waters. Therefore there will be no provision.

    I've replied to hmrc's consultation. Hopefully if enough do they'll rethink

  2. #352
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by st599 View Post
    I emailed our local marinas about provision of white diesel. They have been sent a release from the RYA stating that red diesel is legal in international waters. Therefore there will be no provision.

    I've replied to hmrc's consultation. Hopefully if enough do they'll rethink
    Typical.
    HMRC issues new guidelines saying red only in UK waters - RYA sends out release red legal in international waters, and who do the marinas believe?
    The one who suggests they need not do anything

    Why did the RYA not see fit to point out the you can still get fined abroad with red?
    www.guapa.pn
    Be realistic - aim for the impossible!

  3. #353
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,964

    Default International waters

    As far as I understand it "International Waters" are outside a country's home waters - 12nm offshore for the UK.

    Therefore, outside the UK's 12nm limit you'd be in "international waters" until you entered the next country's home waters (eg Belgium).

    If that's the case the RYA statement is somewhat unhelpful.

  4. #354
    Twister_Ken's Avatar
    Twister_Ken is offline Registered User
    Location : 'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    26,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewinds View Post
    If that's the case the RYA statement is somewhat unhelpful.
    Now, there's a surprise. The RYA really doesn't 'do' cruising.
    Next time, it'll all be different.

  5. #355

    Default I guess they pick us out by our ensigns?

    What is the fine for flying another EU country's ensign?

  6. #356
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    8,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yacht Breeze View Post
    Wizard is right.

    What we want is not opinion or rumour but fact.

    Step forward the RYA or CA or even the Government (HMRC or whoever) with a clear, definitive statement about the legal position and the pragmatic implementation of same.

    This latest ruling, if that's what it is, is full of anomalies. How can you safely go to France, Belgium or Holland and arrive with no red diesel in the tank? How do the French, Belgians or Dutch return home with no red diesel in their tanks?

    Cynics might think this is tit-for-tat for not ratification of the treaty Cameron declined to sign. Good for him, bad for us.

    Who is going to pick up this challenge and sort it out?

    Come on RYA, CA, HMRC.
    I noticed some Norwegian boats in Padstow this summer, they had about 10 plastic jerry cans on the front with white diesel in them!
    stu

  7. #357
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    56,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skipper_stu View Post
    I noticed some Norwegian boats in Padstow this summer, they had about 10 plastic jerry cans on the front with white diesel in them!
    stu
    Norwegians still have lots of oil we wasted most of ours
    I may be wrong but not always

  8. #358
    macd is offline Registered User
    Location : Bricks & mortar: IoM. Me & boat: Turkey
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    Norwegians still have lots of oil we wasted most of ours
    It must be comforting to inhabit such a simple universe. Yes, you have a glimmer of a point. But since Norway's oil reserves were larger than the UK's, yet their population is around one twelfth, you'd rather expect some discrepancy in the way it panned out. In fact, per head Norway is the world's largest producer of oil and natural gas outside the Middle East, with an oil industry which accounts for around a quarter of the country's GDP. That was never remotely true of the UK and never could be. And most of the Norwegian reserves, as the British, are now gone.

    Yes, it may be true to a degree that their Lutheran approach to the largess trumped the UK's grocer's shop model. But then how many grocers set out to buy the next election with tax cuts rather than take the long view? Only Norway had the sheer weight of reserves to do both.
    Last edited by macd; 01-09-13 at 19:45.
    Mac

  9. #359
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    56,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    It must be comforting to inhabit such a simple universe. Yes, you have a glimmer of a point. But since Norway's oil reserves were larger than the UK's, yet their population is around one twelfth, you'd rather expect some discrepancy in the way it panned out. In fact, per head Norway is the world's largest producer of oil and natural gas outside the Middle East, with an oil industry which accounts for around a quarter of the country's GDP. That was never remotely true of the UK and never could be. And most of the Norwegian reserves, as the British, are now gone.

    Yes, it may be true to a degree that their Lutheran approach to the largess trumped the UK's grocer's shop model. But then how many grocers set out to buy the next election with tax cuts rather than take the long view? Yet only Norway had the reserves to do both.
    The Grocers daughter funded the miners strike fallout & unemployment with ours
    I may be wrong but not always

  10. #360
    awol's Avatar
    awol is offline Registered User
    Location : Me Edinburgh, boat Gourock
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    The Grocers daughter funded the miners strike fallout & unemployment with ours
    Now that must be worth a comment about a grocer's apostrophe.

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •