Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

but the water thingy will be down a hole in the garden and impossible to read - so no jolly good in helping me cut down.

One of the few things that get me wound up

The fact it is merely there appears to concentrate the mind.
    10% drop in water comsumption in households after installation.
    A very precious resource far more so that petrol or diesel ?

[QUOTE.
    A very precious resource far more so that petrol or diesel ?[/QUOTE]

Particularly for steam engined vessels ?

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    but the water thingy will be down a hole in the garden and impossible to read - so no jolly good in helping me cut down.

One of the few things that get me wound up

The fact it is merely there appears to concentrate the mind.
    10% drop in water comsumption in households after installation.
    A very precious resource far more so that petrol or diesel ?
    It's "sold" on the basis that you can monitor your use - which is laudable.
    In practice it's more FUD, which isn't.

boatone is offline Registered User

During the most recent episode the delay was simply waiting so that a full lock could be locked through and lockies used their discretion so that you didn't have to wait an inordinate length of time if it was quiet.

As long as water is continuing to flow over the weirs there is not too much problem but once the river drops to that level every locking is a loss of headwater downstream - the same problem that keeps the Basingstoke Canal shut for most of the summer season. Someone mentioned 'back pumping' but I would have thought that would be pretty impractical on the Thames given the size of locks.

The question of how Public Power might be affected is well made !
    Last edited by boatone; 22-02-12 at 10:19.
    Thames MotorBoater? Care about the river? Join the www.tmba.org.uk/about-tmba

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Days View Post
    If they do end up implementing restrictions on locks per hour does that mean that OOH self-service will be suspended?

Katy
    Quiet there - in case EA spots the loophole.

Brayman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by boatone View Post
    During the most recent episode the delay was simply waiting so that a full lock could be locked through and lockies used their discretion so that you didn't have to wait an inordinate length of time if it was quiet.

As long as water is continuing to flow over the weirs there is not too much problem but one the river drops to that level every locking is a loss of headwater downstream - the same problem that keeps the Basingstoke Canal shut for most of the summer season. Someone mentioned 'back pumping' but I would have thought that would be pretty impractical on the Thames given the size of locks.

The question of how Public Power might be affected is well made !
    The trouble was, a few years ago, there was plenty of water flowing over the weirs but locking restrictions were still in place, I'd like to see some calculation of how much water goes over the weir in a hour compared with two or three lockfuls.

Quote Originally Posted by Brayman View Post
    The trouble was, a few years ago, there was plenty of water flowing over the weirs but locking restrictions were still in place, I'd like to see some calculation of how much water goes over the weir in a hour compared with two or three lockfuls.
    They DO know - It's just they don't want to encourage wanton use, by making it unpleasant....

IIRC last time the lockies were permitted (?) to lock you up/down when the lock was full of boats - or others waiting.

I wonder if they'll be using sandbags this time.

boatone is offline Registered User

Just for the record, the following was received from EA in late January and I have seen no further updates as yet:
    Drought
    December was a wet month in the South East with above average rainfall received across the South East Region, resulting in improved river flows. Rainfall for January (up to the 10th) was 38% of the long term average for January. At present, whilst stretched, the situation is being managed. We are working to our draft South East drought plan and have regional and area drought teams in place and holding fortnightly regional drought teleconferences to monitor the situation. We will keep you updated as the situation progresses with details of any likely impacts for navigation.
    Thames MotorBoater? Care about the river? Join the www.tmba.org.uk/about-tmba