Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Red Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by ian38_39 View Post
    Exactly the same opportunity still exists with green given that it would be marine fuel with no bio. Road fuel must have bio.

It is I beleive UK gov that won't apply different rates. If I am right the only requirement from Europe is that the minimum dity is applied, happy to be corrected.

As I said the directive stated that we could not charge a different rate of duty for the same fuel.

For the last 4 years HMRC have accepted that it is the same fuel,regardless of it's colour and applied the same tax as applied to road fuel, at least the propulsion element of that fuel.

Our lobbying groups chose not to argue that it was not the same as road fuel and the lowest rate of tax could be applied. Probably too late now to make this claim.

What surprises me is that several years into the new arrangement it has become apparent that we are in contravention of another EU regulation regarding the use of marked fuel in leisure boats, surely this should have been investigated at the time especially as there was an opportunity to apply the minimum EU tax by highlighting the differences between marine and road diesel, an approach that succeeded for the leisure aviation industry.

moodyNick is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by joliette View Post
    If diesel boaters are heading for a 50% hike in fuel costs (and I think the politics are driving us towards that), what will result?
    To keep things in perspective, 50% is very much an exaggeration. Yesterday the difference in price between white marine diesel (which nobody sells yet) and red diesel with 60% duty added was 19p per litre. Hence the cost would go from approx 1.15p to approx 1.35.

PaulGooch is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoodyNick View Post
    To keep things in perspective, 50% is very much an exaggeration. Yesterday the difference in price between white marine diesel (which nobody sells yet) and red diesel with 60% duty added was 19p per litre. Hence the cost would go from approx 1.15p to approx 1.35.
    Where are you getting your white from for 1.35 ?

Marinas here are charging close to 1.50 for red.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGooch View Post

Nick has some involvement with a S Coast marina
    I may be wrong but not always

I think he is talking about the effective price after the 60/40 discount.

Exclamation

Regarding perspective, how about taking a global one (prices in US cents per litre): http://chartsbin.com/view/1128

Spot the Eurozone (ironically the colour of red diesel!) we must all be doing so terribly well for ourselves to be able to afford such massive taxation?
    Last edited by joliette; 24-02-12 at 08:12.

moodyNick is offline Registered User

Where is 'here' to you?

Red on the South Coast sells at 85p/litre before duty, 1.35 after at 100% duty, 1.15 at 60%

The price of white out of the refinery pre duty is currently within a penny of red.

neale is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by joliette View Post
    Regarding perspective, how about taking a global one (prices in US cents per litre): http://chartsbin.com/view/1128

Spot the Eurozone (ironically the colour of red diesel!) we must all be doing so terribly well for ourselves to be able to afford such massive taxation?
    Quite interesting to see Belgium on that map is a different colour to its neighbours

PaulGooch is offline Registered User

Where is 'here' to you?

Red on the South Coast sells at 85p/litre before duty, 1.35 after at 100% duty, 1.15 at 60%

The price of white out of the refinery pre duty is currently within a penny of red.
    I'm on the East Coast.

You're claiming that where it available, white "marine" diesel would be 1.35. I don't believe that would be the case. Red here is currently more than that, for one thing. For another, white road fuel is also more than that.

Can anyone really see white diesel in marinas being cheaper than Tesco's ?

[QUOTE=Lotus_John;3401373]As I said the directive stated that we could not charge a different rate of duty for the same fuel.

QUOTE]
    I dont think that is correct. I think the directive says that a country cannot have different taxations levels for the same fuel for the same use.
    IE fuel for heating can be taxed differently from propulsion, but propulsion is propulsion.