Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Red Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Garold View Post
    I'd be quite happy if Tesco started a marine fuel station on the south coast. Serving normal, Belgian approved diesel.

Prob be a good price, and you could pick up fresh milk and bread at the same time.

Maybe when they get fed up of Tesco Metro.

Tesco Marine has a ring to it.

G
    Asda be done
    I may be wrong but not always

mikef is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by timbartlett View Post
    To some extent, the diesel situation is the same. The only reason we have a problem at all is because the UK government imposes duty at more that twice the EU so-called "harmonised" rate
    I said that the high cost of road diesel is the real problem in one of my other posts but the UK is indeed particularly rigorous about translating EU directives into UK law and then applying them in a draconian manner as any businessman will tell you. I do have first hand experience of how blindly the UK observes EU directives in my own industry and how other EU countries just pay lip service to them. In that sense, the UK is the most loyal member that the EU has

AdeOlly is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by gjgm View Post
    You pay 5pct on heating fuel,20pct on propulsion.
    Nope, it's 5% on both. It was a last minute concession by HMRC when the 60/40 thing was brought in. Can't see that lasting if red becomes white
    Adrian

I think that was the point being made, if we do go to white it will be 20% instead of the 5% vat charged now. Hence it will not be 19p more but more like 10% above forcourt price, about £1.60 at todays prices.

Quote Originally Posted by ian38_39 View Post
    I think that was the point being made, if we do go to white it will be 20% instead of the 5% vat charged now. Hence it will not be 19p more but more like 10% above forcourt price, about £1.60 at todays prices.
    Methinks it'll be a tad more than that because the seller has to bear the cost of the duty element up front on delivery. So he'll want a return on that working capital as well My guess is around £1.70 and those folk who can will resort to jerrycans...

Guess it will depend on where you buy your fuel and what the turnover is but we can buy petrol waterside at anything from 10p above road to 60p above.

A new slant on the issue from the RYA:

"Notwithstanding the contradictory assertions in the Minister’s statement and HMRC’s consultation documents, the draft legislation appended to the consultation documents would not in fact make it unlawful to use marked diesel outside UK waters. Instead, the proposal is to change the content of the required declaration when purchasing fuel.

The proposed legislation would not therefore change the current situation if you go to Europe.

However, the proposed revised content of the declaration does not accurately reflec! t the position under either UK or international law and thus would effectively require signatories falsely to acknowledge that they are aware of restrictions on fuel usage that do not in fact exist.

The RYA is therefore challenging this proposal.
    Gus Lewis, Head of Legal & Government Affairs"

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_H View Post
    A new slant on the issue from the RYA:

"Notwithstanding the contradictory assertions in the Ministerís statement and HMRCís consultation documents, the draft legislation appended to the consultation documents would not in fact make it unlawful to use marked diesel outside UK waters. Instead, the proposal is to change the content of the required declaration when purchasing fuel.

The proposed legislation would not therefore change the current situation if you go to Europe.

However, the proposed revised content of the declaration does not accurately reflec! t the position under either UK or international law and thus would effectively require signatories falsely to acknowledge that they are aware of restrictions on fuel usage that do not in fact exist.

The RYA is therefore challenging this proposal.
    Gus Lewis, Head of Legal & Government Affairs"
    Once again, peeing around with words rather than addressing the real problem...

Exclamation

[QUOTE=Nick_H;3411370] ... and thus would effectively require signatories falsely to acknowledge that they are aware of restrictions on fuel usage that do not in fact exist.QUOTE]

Sounds just like 60/40 tax avoidance (or should I say evasion) to me! Does someone need to tell the RYA that when in a hole one should stop digging?!
    Last edited by joliette; 01-03-12 at 23:28.

AdeOlly is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by joliette View Post
    Sounds just like 60/40 tax avoidance (or should I say evasion) to me! Does someone need to tell the RYA that when in a hole one should stop digging?!
    60/40 is HMRC's suggestion and the split scheme. Doesn't sound like avoidance or evasion to me. If it was why aren't there strings of peoploe lined up to be prosecuted? After all, our name and address is on every blooming declaration. QED.
    Adrian