Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Removing red dye from your fuel system

Whatever the rights, wrongs, outcomes or whatevers of this debacle, I was wondering........

Just how would you go about removing the red dye, should you plan to switch to white?

I have 4 fuel tanks, 2 primary filters, one secondary filter, two fuel gauge tubes and a fair amount of piping. I am sure others have even more complicated systems.

Impossible to remove some of this without major boat surgery.
    Probably impossible to flush through.

I have no idea.
    I may be wrong, but I'm not confused.
    ⛵ Ex-SolentBoy

Use all the red.

If the sight tubes are plastic, replace them, if glass or not stained don't bother.

Fill with white.

Go.
    Bob.
    Any bull in this post may be composted.

Billjratt is offline Registered User

The dye is designed to leave a fingerprint even after the tainted fuel has all been used, with that in mind I doubt there is a sensible, financially worthwhile method of acheiving your objective.
    I can't believe the foreign fuel-police are using the same equipment that our excise officers use at fuel testing stations - surely they just dip the tank, hold the result up to the light, and use a bit of common sense/discretion?
    If not, all UK based yachts that have been tainted are going to be deemed illegal, which doesn't seem right if there's white in the tank.
    Left hand down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Billjratt View Post
    I can't believe the foreign fuel-police are using the same equipment that our excise officers use at fuel testing stations - surely they just dip the tank, hold the result up to the light, and use a bit of common sense/discretion?
    That's exactly what happened when we were checked in Ostend 2 years ago.
    www.guapa.pn
    Be realistic - aim for the impossible!

This 'dipping the tank'.
    Has anyone tried feeding a suckerpipe from the deckfill? Not always straightforward or a straight run .
    Suppose the filters are invisible, the filler cap won't undo (hehe) I can't imagine any official offering to get down on their creases and offer to bleed yer engine for you...
    Suspect that multiple tanks are the way to 'appear' to go
    Why argue with a nautical wall? I just read the graffiti these days.

sarabande is online now Registered User

I wonder whether the information about red dye being residual is correct ? AFIK, steel does not absorb dye.

If you were a regulatory officer, you would want the public to believe that dye was clingy, wouldn't you ?

Plastic sight pipes, perhaps, but bulk tanks, No. Otherwise all the marinas will have to replace their tankage.

SB, get the tanks emptied (I'll take the red diesel away for a small fee ) and get the yard who do the job to certify they have emptied the tanks completely on the invoice.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    I wonder whether the information about red dye being residual is correct ? AFIK, steel does not absorb dye.

If you were a regulatory officer, you would want the public to believe that dye was clingy, wouldn't you ?

Plastic sight pipes, perhaps, but bulk tanks, No. Otherwise all the marinas will have to replace their tankage.

SB, get the tanks emptied (I'll take the red diesel away for a small fee ) and get the yard who do the job to certify they have emptied the tanks completely on the invoice.
    We have no plastic pipes. Just the rubber hose from filler to tank. The rest is steel. The tanks are plastic.

I am not planning to to do this, just wondering whether it would be even possible, so sorry, no free fuel available from here.

I would like to see plod try to dip our tanks. We have special devices fitted to prevent siphoning that would also stop dipping via the fillers. Having said that, we also have special taps for draining and sampling from the bottom of the tanks, but I might not tell them where those are.
    I may be wrong, but I'm not confused.
    ⛵ Ex-SolentBoy

I am goingto swap my diesel filler for water filler cap then when theuy dip the tank marked "diesel" it will be clear QED

when road tankers swap from product they dont wash the tank, just fill an empty one. this includes spirt to diesel swaps along with heating oil to road fuel.
    David

maxi77 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post

Our customs are more interested in the chemical marker than the dye as that can tell them how diluted the red is, useful for them in calculating the amount of duty evaded.
    Peter