Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quest is offline Registered User

Just to update this thread, I have just returned from Plymouth having put the boat into the dry stack at Yacht Haven Quay. Hopefully, I'll continue to get good use from the boat this year, despite the 2 hr drive from home. Things started well today with a lovely trip to the River Yealm and then Salcombe, before an afternoon return before the weather changed! A lovely trip, with my first ever sighting of white gannets (with black wing tips) diving for fish like torpedoes from about 50ft - amazing. Will try and get a few pics on here over the next day or two.

Thanks all.

Andrew
    Quest
    This boat lark all started with me looking to buy a better kayak!!!

OAF is offline Registered User

Quest, it would seem it is a case of 'what ever works for you' having read this interesting thread it looks like everyone has their own reasons for how they operate their boat and enjoy their boating, FWIW I travel 180 miles to my boat and try my hardest to make it at least twice a month, I also have a rib that I trailer down and back once a year, I personally prefer the marina based boating, if I had to trailer all the time I don't think I would make the effort as much as I do know.

Where abouts are you dry stacking your boat? my brother dry stacks his boat in Plymouth.

Sounds like it's probably the same one as I only know of one dry stack in Plymouth, at Yacht Haven Quay, near Mount Batten. It's early days yet but so far so good, with all the staff seeming friendly and helpful. I think when I've used it a few times I shall be better tuned into the way of doing things and hopefully things will be slick, which will be important for me as once I'm out of the boat I shall be wanting to make tracks for home and not lose too much time on the quayside with flushing the engines and locking the boat up etc.

What's your brothers' boat?

Andrew

OAF is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Sounds like it's probably the same one as I only know of one dry stack in Plymouth, at Yacht Haven Quay, near Mount Batten. It's early days yet but so far so good, with all the staff seeming friendly and helpful. I think when I've used it a few times I shall be better tuned into the way of doing things and hopefully things will be slick, which will be important for me as once I'm out of the boat I shall be wanting to make tracks for home and not lose too much time on the quayside with flushing the engines and locking the boat up etc.

What's your brothers' boat?

Andrew
    It is the same marina/ facility where he has his boat, I believe they wash the boat off when it is lifted, my brother reported that they are very efficient and helpful, coming from my brother that is a recommendation as he is a bit particular!!! Sorry all I know about his boat is that it is a 23ft single diesel inboard cuddy cruiser.

Default Dry Stack

Attachment 17650

Attachment 17651

Attachment 17652

Photos above show:
    Arrival at Dry Stack and boat being lifted off trailer.
    Boat being lowered over Quay wall into water.
    Boat being lifted out after trip to Salcombe.

Smooth!

The Dry Stack Shed is in view behind and yes there was a quick pressure wash off following the lift out.
    Last edited by Quest; 26-06-12 at 21:24.