Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stereo advice anyone?

On top of all the other work I need to complete, my stereo died a horrible death last season Ė being a normal car stereo in a so called waterproof housing, it just couldnít handle the elements.

Iím considering a Kenwood KMR-700U which is a marine grade unit. Iím not bothered about CDís, but like the idea of housing an IPod or MP3 player inside the unit for simplicity. Iíve also looked at the Fusion range but I understand you need a separate box to house the MP3 player, which is a waste of space. It was also suggested that I could just buy a standard non-marine grade car unit and just replace it each year if necessary Ė certainly a cheaper option for now but perhaps not in the long run. I just wondered if anyone had any ideas or thoughts on this vital subject.

John

I use a normal car stereo to, try and pick up the a car stereo were the whole lot slides out just leaving the cage, this way you can remove it when you.

Marine stereo are over priced, unless you can pick up a second one,

Bojangles is offline Registered User

I have the fusion with the flip down front, ipod sits neatly into cradle inside the unit, cant remember the model number but this doesnt need any other part. Really pleased with it and easy to select your tracks etc.

bammylovechops is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppy View Post
    On top of all the other work I need to complete, my stereo died a horrible death last season Ė being a normal car stereo in a so called waterproof housing, it just couldnít handle the elements.

Iím considering a Kenwood KMR-700U which is a marine grade unit. Iím not bothered about CDís, but like the idea of housing an IPod or MP3 player inside the unit for simplicity. Iíve also looked at the Fusion range but I understand you need a separate box to house the MP3 player, which is a waste of space. It was also suggested that I could just buy a standard non-marine grade car unit and just replace it each year if necessary Ė certainly a cheaper option for now but perhaps not in the long run. I just wondered if anyone had any ideas or thoughts on this vital subject.

John
    I too have the Fusion,I think it is the 500.
    It will take both an iPhone or an iPod, also whilst your iPod or phone is in the unit, it charges it as well.
    Not a bad piece of kit and a great customer service back up as well.

Not a
    It is better to have memories than dreams.

I've got the Fusion 500 unit as well, it's excellent. It's been superceded by the ms-ip700.

Cheers
    Jimmy

DavidJ is online now Registered User

Maybe the units suggested have it, but the next unit I buy must have a remote control so I can control it from the cockpit.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    Maybe the units suggested have it, but the next unit I buy must have a remote control so I can control it from the cockpit.
    Yep, the Fusion gear does this. I've got the head unit in the saloon, and remotes at the helm and at the sunpad.

Cheers
    Jimmy

bammylovechops is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_the_builder View Post
    Yep, the Fusion gear does this. I've got the head unit in the saloon, and remotes at the helm and at the sunpad.

Cheers
    Jimmy
    Ours is the other way round, head at helm and remote below, works for us.

Just read your post's Jimmy, well done for doing it!

Bet your music sounds sweeter there.
    It is better to have memories than dreams.

Talulah is offline Registered User

Currently we have a standard car single DIN unit. Albeit a digital head unit.
    Playing CD's is now a thing of the past. Everyone comes with their music on their iDevice.
    The hassle is that if I want to control the volume, skip/search a track etc from within the cockpit I have to run the extension lead between the iDevice and the car stereo at the chart table. OK but not ideal.
    If the current unit died I would replace it with one that had Bluetooth streaming. This way the iDevice could be anywhere within range on the chart table without a hardwired extension cable. The music would be streamed to the head unit.

dpb is offline Registered User

I think if you can fit it inside, a regular car stereo should be fine i've not had one pack up yet and have had them for up to five years before changing boats.
    Put a power amp sourced from cashconverters in one of the boats expecting it to pack up after the first season but that is in its third year also!
    If the gear is going in the cockpit though thats probably different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast