Thread: Red Mist

Beadle is offline Registered User
    Location : Rural Nth Yorks - 2 miles from bus stop, 8 miles from station.

Default Red Mist

At some point it seems we will have to live with the effects of the EU's revenge for voting against their little cartel.

Could the answer be to convert to gas?

I believe it is possible to run a diesel engine on gas and it is quite legal to do so, even in the EU.

I guess the cost of conversion would be a bit but at least its probably less than the potential fine.

I think its a more practical solution than some of the ideas floating about.

And best of all it sticks 2 fingers up at Brussels - which must be a good thing
    If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

saltylegs is offline Registered User

As far as I know the gas conversation for diesels means that you use lpg and diesel and the lpg helps in the combustion process and results in better performance and a cleaner burn with less particulites and if memory serves a claimed 20% on the running cost.

sarabande is online now Registered User

do propane and butane work in compression-ignition engines ?

EDIT

ooh ! Blow me down with a feather ! I didn't know that they did.

http://www.chilterngascars.co.uk/cars/lpgdiesel.htm
    Last edited by sarabande; 22-02-12 at 23:05.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Have you seen a gas cylinder explode? How much do you want to carry?
    Cynical Scots engineer who sails a Mirage 28

Stemar is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    do propane and butane work in compression-ignition engines ?

EDIT

ooh ! Blow me down with a feather ! I didn't know that they did.

http://www.chilterngascars.co.uk/cars/lpgdiesel.htm
    That page isn't a system that only runs on gas - it uses the4 gas as a catalyst to improve the combustion of the diesel, as described by Saltylegs.

Shame - I quite like the idea, even though I have seen gas cylinders explode. If there's a fire on my boat that's big enough to set the gas cylinder off, I'll be swimming for the shore long before, simply to keep my toes from being toasted. From that point of view I'd rather have a metal gas cylinder on board than a gallon of 2-stroke for the tender in a plastic can.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

At some point it seems we will have to live with the effects of the EU's revenge for voting against their little cartel.

I believe it is possible to run a diesel engine on gas and it is quite legal to do so, even in the EU.

I guess the cost of conversion would be a bit but at least its probably less than the potential fine.

As far as I know diesel engines run quite well on chip oil, according to a friend who ran a van on it.

Would it be illegal to run a boat on recycled oil from the local chippy?

Just found a link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOFbsaNeZps
    Last edited by Farrelley; 23-02-12 at 15:35.

TQA is offline Registered User

You can not run a conventional diesel engine on pure LPG as the 'combustion' characteristics are almost the opposite of what is needed.

What you can do is add some lpg into the inlet manifold of a running diesel for a power boost of around 15 to 25%.

Not seen any in the UK but is commonly done in the USA. The RV that I drove around the USA had an older brother based on a Isuzu chassis with a 3.9 litre turbo diesel and was fairly slow so was often fitted with this system. I test drove one and the boost was noticeable esp. on hills.

This was a propritary system but some that I saw were simple home brews based on a 20lb gas cylinder, regulator, solenoid and gas jet bought from camping stores.

BTW Please read the following BEFORE going the DIY route. http://www.rasoenterprises.com/index...esel-dual-fuel
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

over 50 yrs ago gas powered cement mixers were quite common on building sites. the cooling was via cast iron open pot cast into the cylinder head just add 1/2 a bucket of water now & then
    I may be wrong but not always