Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BlueSkyNick is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jtwebb View Post
    But there is also the point that the prats who govern us have not thought it through. I am not certain about where the 12 mile limit is but if one goes from Falmouth to Milford Haven does one stay in territorial waters? Is the limit a nice straight line from headland to headland which seems most unlikely or does it follow the coast as one expects?
    If you look on the chart of St Georges channel, there is a clear line which shows which is Irish water on one side and UK waters on the other.

If red diesel is cheaper in some places than niormal diesel then I find it nuts that paying for fuel for a leisure activity is cheaper than paying for it to fill the car to go to work.

Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    If red diesel is cheaper in some places than niormal diesel then I find it nuts that paying for fuel for a leisure activity is cheaper than paying for it to fill the car to go to work.
    Nobody else incurs a significant portion of their leisure activity costs in the form of tax/duty, that I can think of anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MoodyNick View Post
    Nobody else incurs a significant portion of their leisure activity costs in the form of tax/duty, that I can think of anyway.
    You must do a heck of a lot of motoring,sir!

BTW those whose leisure consist of smoking and drinking send most of their hard earned to the treasury!

And as a climber most of my climbing related costs is filling the fuel tank to get there!

Fair enough but look at it from the other point of view. The number of boats who actually leave UK waters is only a fraction of the number who never do so.
    Are you sure? The http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305495 indicates precisely the opposite with only ~30% indicating that they aren't going abroad in 2012 or hardly ever go abroad at all. That leaves 70% that plan to go abroad in 2012... Now that's only a sample of 161 boats (as I write) so statistically poor but it doesn't lend itself to your assertion either...
    Proudly supporting our troops. http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

jtwebb is offline Registered User

If you look on the chart of St Georges channel, there is a clear line which shows which is Irish water on one side and UK waters on the other.
    True about the line, similar one in the Dover Straights, but the report says 12 miles. So what is the situation?
    J Webb

Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    You must do a heck of a lot of motoring,sir!

BTW those whose leisure consist of smoking and drinking send most of their hard earned to the treasury!

And as a climber most of my climbing related costs is filling the fuel tank to get there!
    Now I am struggling to choose between this thread and the similar bollox being discussed on Question Time !

Sailing boats motor to a varying degree. Motorboats motor 100% of the time, and they support the economy of the leisure marine industry in general terms.

Smoking and drinking are hardly sport or past times, like darts and snooker are.

You pay VAT on all your climbing gear, but nothing more towards the cost of the NHS to patch you up when you fall off the cliff !

Quote Originally Posted by Sea_Spray View Post
    Are you sure? The http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305495 indicates precisely the opposite with only ~30% indicating that they aren't going abroad in 2012 or hardly ever go abroad at all. That leaves 70% that plan to go abroad in 2012... Now that's only a sample of 161 boats (as I write) so statistically poor but it doesn't lend itself to your assertion either...
    That's because the forums are generally frequented by enthusiastic boaters with a high proportion inclined to go off shore.

So why not just supply normal diesel and dump the fiction that most is being used for heating?