Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,179

    Default

    I agree but the main problems caused by bio diesel / fame, is that it is a very good solvent of the sediment lining tanks and fuel lines.

    So what you MUST take are plenty of spare filters and be prepared to change them frequently until the tanks and lines have been flushed clean.

    This problem applies to road vehicles as well and there are photos on http://millersoils.net website of the consequences of bio diesel and diesel bug.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ianj99 View Post
    I agree but the main problems caused by bio diesel / fame, is that it is a very good solvent of the sediment lining tanks and fuel lines.

    So what you MUST take are plenty of spare filters and be prepared to change them frequently until the tanks and lines have been flushed clean.

    This problem applies to road vehicles as well and there are photos on http://millersoils.net website of the consequences of bio diesel and diesel bug.
    Our boat is 1988 and as far as I know, the tank has never been cleaned. For 6 years now we've only been using road diesel and I've not even had to drain the sediment bowl in that time. Whilst I'm aware that some people have had problems with dirty fuel systems, I also bear in mind that additive companies use scare tactics to sell their products.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamM376 View Post
    Our boat is 1988 and as far as I know, the tank has never been cleaned. For 6 years now we've only been using road diesel and I've not even had to drain the sediment bowl in that time. Whilst I'm aware that some people have had problems with dirty fuel systems, I also bear in mind that additive companies use scare tactics to sell their products.
    Not Millers.

    There are some photos on here of fuel filters and a Shell tanker driver told me that since Shell increased the biodiesel content, even their tanker fleet has needed a filter change once per month until the sediment has been flushed.

    The owner of the forecourt where he was delivering to also said he had to change all the filters betwixt storage tanks and pumps.

    http://energytuning.co.uk\fuelprobs.htm

    Anecdotal this may be, but forwarned is forearmed as they say, and you can hardly call the AA if you breakdown at sea....

  4. #14
    maxi77's Avatar
    maxi77 is offline Registered User
    Location : Kingdom of Fife
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ianj99 View Post
    Not Millers.

    There are some photos on here of fuel filters and a Shell tanker driver told me that since Shell increased the biodiesel content, even their tanker fleet has needed a filter change once per month until the sediment has been flushed.

    The owner of the forecourt where he was delivering to also said he had to change all the filters betwixt storage tanks and pumps.

    http://energytuning.co.uk\fuelprobs.htm

    Anecdotal this may be, but forwarned is forearmed as they say, and you can hardly call the AA if you breakdown at sea....
    Mine is even older than Grahams, and has several hundred trouble free hours since fuelling on white diesel, mind you wasn't shell magic petrol that had to be withdrawn because it screwed up engines?
    Peter

  5. #15
    Little Five is offline Registered User
    Location : Co.Dublin, Ireland
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcatterall View Post
    Well, I knew that there were issues in Holland but I thought we would be ok in France, now it seems that we may be in trouble wherever we go.
    We are preparing the boat for passage down the west coast then along to the Solent across to France and through the French canal system.
    We have 100 gall capacity ( in 2 x50 gallon tanks) and about 40 gallons in at this time. Preston Marina sells only red deisel. Somehow I now have to use up or throw away 40 galls and find a way of getting suitable fuel to replace it.
    I understand that ordinary road deisel will not be good for my old perkins and am not certain of what to buy and where from.
    I guess that if I find a source of suitable fuel locally then I could carry and fill the 'slave' tank and run down the master tank to about 10 gallons then keep diluting it from the slave tank. This is a bit of a worry as I don't like to run the tank down too low and there will still be residue red for a long time.
    Comments on my way forward will be appreciated.
    Also clarification of just which white diesel I should be buying?
    Also , in France, will I be able to buy the 'correct' diesel for our engine.
    Are there additives that I can use to make road diesel suitable for our engine.
    I will appreciate your advice as ever.
    Other than the delivery trip from Plymouth to ireland I have only ever put road diesel into my 1975 engine. It has over 4700 hrs on it and runs beautifully.

  6. #16
    dunmor's Avatar
    dunmor is offline Registered User
    Location : sovereign harbour east bourne
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    520

    Default

    been running my 1965 perkins on white derv for 4 yrs, no problems.

  7. #17
    Chris_Robb's Avatar
    Chris_Robb is online now Registered User
    Location : Haslemere/ Leros Greece
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    6,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dunmor View Post
    been running my 1965 perkins on white derv for 4 yrs, no problems.
    Guys - this is the first year of bio diesel, so no wonder you haven't had a problem!

  8. #18
    Sanderling_'s Avatar
    Sanderling_ is offline Registered User
    Location : N Wilts/La Vilaine
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AliM View Post
    Surely, you put all your red diesel in one tank. Put 10l of road diesel in the other, and check that your engine works well on it - it's likely to be OK (if it isn't work out what additives you may need). Then fill up as much as you can easily of road diesel into that clean tank (a few cc of red should be OK - see various other posts). Switch over to red diesel for the trip through the UK, which will probably almost finish it - if not, donate/sell it to another UK boater. Fill up with road diesel, and off you go.
    Just make sure that the return pipe does not bleed red into the white tank!!!

  9. #19
    dunmor's Avatar
    dunmor is offline Registered User
    Location : sovereign harbour east bourne
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Robb View Post
    Guys - this is the first year of bio diesel, so no wonder you haven't had a problem!
    now im worried.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •