Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USB GPS

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN FANTASTIC View Post
    What type of charts do you have?. Where are you getting the GPS with chartplotter from? Let us know how you are getting on with the setting up; I am also planning to buy same equipment.
    You can get it direct from Belfield as a package.

http://chartsandtides.co.uk

The charts are the UKHO ARCS charts - all 800 of them on disc or memory stick, and being raster charts, means they are exact scans of the Admiralty paper charts.

Naturally the program automatically selects the correct chart as you zoom in or out.

http://www.ukho.gov.uk
    Last edited by ianj99; 24-02-12 at 13:56.

MoodySabre is online now Registered User

There's a test of the Belfield plotter and others too in Sailing Today current issue.
    Not all who wander are lost

I went the open cpn and cm93 charts, since im a cheapskate, depending on your morals there are garmin atlantic ones kicking about as well, the first usb dongle i got crashed windows, the second one is better but sometimes not recognised by windows, getting a reliable gps usb dongle was the difficult part for me!

NickRobinson is offline Registered User

Default Blue tooth?

Has any one tried a BT GPS?

My set up uses a BT USB dongle to talk to the GPS total cost less than 10. for both bits.

The GPS is rechargeable so it can be used remotely (eg higher up inside the cabin) but not really necessary. It runs for 12/24 hrs if not on charge.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GLOBAL...ht_3714wt_1059

(no connection, other ads available!)

Nick (Rivendell

Quote Originally Posted by NickRobinson View Post
    Has any one tried a BT GPS?
    Yes - I use a GlobalSat BT 338 as a back-up and with my Dell PDA which runs MemoryMap with Maptech charts, in the cockpit for pilotage. BT works well, without the set-up problems that I have encountered (as have others here) with USB GPS.

The laptop runs down below taking it's primary feed from the fixed GPS (Garmin 128) and a NASA AIS engine. The laptop runs OpenCPN with CM93 and Maptech (Admiralty raster) charts. I use Maptech for route planning and real time nav and the vector charts (with detail turned down) for AIS display, which is particularly good on OpenCPN.

I'm also now using NavMonPC for instrument display, logging and multiplexing/virtual COM port provision, although the virtual ports are not really needed now as I no longer run Maptech, just OpenCPN.
    ------------------------------------
    Loves sailing, hates gardening

V1701 is offline Registered User

Bluenext dongle here, works fine (once configured with the help of the forum ) with Samsung netbook, Open CPN/CM93. A great backup to the chartplotter...

I have recently discovered 'Extgps'
    http://www.symbian-freeware.com/download-extgps.html
    which allows your Symbian based gps , Bluetooth phone to send gps to your laptop
    I have a Nokia E71 which works fine with this.
    I paid , I think , about 4 for mine using the Nokia Apps store but I note you seem to get it free on the site I have posted here.

Quote Originally Posted by Playtime View Post

I'm also now using NavMonPC for instrument display, logging and multiplexing/virtual COM port provision, although the virtual ports are not really needed now as I no longer run Maptech, just OpenCPN.
    Navmon is good for its nmea handling but the instrument displays are less impressive, not customiseable nor resizeable, not that this is a complaint since its a free download!

You might like Polarnavy's Polarview instruments. You can customise them fully and also re size the window, and have it ontop of Belfield.
    You can choose an anlogue or digital display for most parameters.

I

Default Opencpn

Opencpn looks very attractive. Does any one know if it is updated and how frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by sutton sailor View Post
    Opencpn looks very attractive. Does any one know if it is updated and how frequently.
    Do the sums:
    Code:
    Name	Modified

2.5.0	2011-07-26
    2.3.1	2010-12-31
    2.3.0	2010-12-18
    2.1.0	2010-06-26
    1.3.6	2010-01-07
    1.3.4	2009-10-01
    1.3.2	2009-07-11
    1.3.0	2009-05-09
    1.2.8	2008-12-25