Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tribute is offline Registered User

Default Abandoned yachts?

Afternoon,
    I was wondering if anyone knows of any abandoned vessels in the Southampton area, or any which are no longer required. Looking for something on the cheap to tinker with and possibly make into a liveaboard. Any ideas of where to look and who to speak to would be very useful.
    Thanks,
    Tribute

Would be squatter?

There are plenty of yachts that look abandoned during the winter, but they are not! The legal route is to look for marina's auctions for non paying berth holders' boats.

alant is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
    Afternoon,
    I was wondering if anyone knows of any abandoned vessels in the Southampton area, or any which are no longer required. Looking for something on the cheap to tinker with and possibly make into a liveaboard. Any ideas of where to look and who to speak to would be very useful.
    Thanks,
    Tribute
    Anything "abandoned" in Southampton, would only be fit for scrap & cost a mint to tinker with!

Have a look above Woolston Bridge, thats where they all are.

I sail regularly and understand a lot of them are not abandoned, its a dream of mine to eventually get a decent liveaboard and any steps in that direction are good. No interest in squatting, its someones property. I'm talking more about the half sunk derelicts which haven't seen any love in years. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alant View Post
    Anything "abandoned" in Southampton, would only be fit for scrap & cost a mint to tinker with!

Have a look above Woolston Bridge, thats where they all are.
    Had a wonder along the Itchen today and had a chat with some local fishermen, just thought worth a shot asking on here. Never know someone might know of something

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
    Afternoon,
    Thanks,
    Tribute
    Mooring authorities keep track of abandoned vessels and attempt to sell them (usually by auction) when they have given up hope of the owner ever paying outstanding fees. Same with boatyards.
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    Mooring authorities keep track of abandoned vessels and attempt to sell them (usually by auction) when they have given up hope of the owner ever paying outstanding fees. Same with boatyards.
    I will give the Harbour master's a call tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks for the pointer.

prv is offline Registered User

Last year Kemp's Quay had lots of abandoned boats, but they seem to have got rid of them all now. I was looking the other week for an example of the notice they stick on them to inform the owner what's happened should he ever turn up, but couldn't find any. There were about a dozen last winter.

Pete

ProDave is offline Registered User

Here's a free boat on ebay.

Needs a lot of work (understatemet)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...E:B:SS:GB:1123

If you want it in the south, transport may cost a bit.
    Anybody else sail a Frolic 18? or know someone who does? if so please PM me.

Yep try Kemps Quay ask for Al or Sarha in the office I think there maybe 1 or two still there.

j