Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meths Storage

Default Meths Storage

I'm looking to install a tank for meths storage for the coming season on board. I am not too keen on the fluid being in plastic bottles about the cabin in case of leakage.

The 1l metal camping fuel bottles would suffice. However I have in mind a 5l or so tank, permanently fitted to bulkhead with a small tap for filling up the cooker's cartridges would be a neater solution.

Does anyone know where one would look for such a thing?

Thanks

How about 2litre stainless steel thermos flasks for around a tenner each? Loads on e-bay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/__st...=284591_284611

Rob_A39 is offline Registered User

How about a fuel tank from a Taylor's cooker, they appear on eBay on a regular basis

That Taylor's tank is the idea I was looking for. At 90 for a second hand and dented tank, I may stick to the flask idea though.... will keep an eye out.

Unless there are other options available akin to the taylors tank but better value?

If you buy your meths from a decorators merchants (Brewers, Cane Adam, etc) it comes in a 2.5L metal can.
    "ICUIDADO! LLAMA!"

rob2 is offline Registered User

If you use the camping containers you could put them in a bicycle drinks cage, screwed to the bulkhead. Drinking containers are varnished on the inside to avoid tainting the drink, so probably best to use one intended for fuel - same aluminium bottle but not varnished.

Rob.

If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

I have a scrap internal fuel tank off an outboard that could do the job, it's not a regular shape or pretty but it does have a tap on the bottom.

I use a Fairy liquid bottle, it pours at just about the right rate for the fuel to soak into the wadding, squeeze a bit to speed it up. I keep the bulk in a gallon tin, like an old oil can, but I don't know if it's worth it the 5L plastic ones never failed on me.
    Bob.
    Any bull in this post may be composted.

alant is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    I'm looking to install a tank for meths storage for the coming season on board. I am not too keen on the fluid being in plastic bottles about the cabin in case of leakage.

The 1l metal camping fuel bottles would suffice. However I have in mind a 5l or so tank, permanently fitted to bulkhead with a small tap for filling up the cooker's cartridges would be a neater solution.

Does anyone know where one would look for such a thing?

Thanks
    5l?

Seems rather a lot.

You using it for recreational purposes or your engine?

Billjratt is offline Registered User

There are lots of tanks about the right size designed to be bolted to something - Seagull o/b, Atco mower, etc.
    Probably easier to get down to the local scrappy and get a suitable header tank from a car.
    Left hand down a bit.