Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Diesel cost in Cherbourg marina 1.24 L

I've lost track of which thread to put this on but for those up in arms about buying French duty paid fuel this is the current price per litre of duty paid pleasure fuel for 150 L ( 1.46 Euros) which should give a credit card amount of 1.24 ish.

Please dont start a new thread here, but I dont see the problem with topping your red up on arrival (60/40 receipts on board) with 30 gallons of duty paid French / Belgium fuel @ 1.24 L , keeps everyone happy and seems fair to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DAKA View Post
    I've lost track of which thread to put this on but for those up in arms about buying French duty paid fuel this is the current price per litre of duty paid pleasure fuel for 150 L ( 1.46 Euros) which should give a credit card amount of 1.24 ish.

Please dont start a new thread here, but I dont see the problem with topping your red up on arrival (60/40 receipts on board) with 30 gallons of duty paid French / Belgium fuel @ 1.24 L , keeps everyone happy and seems fair to me.
    At last a breath of fresh air and common sense...............

With inexorable UK duty/VAT increases I think that before long we will all be heading over to France to fill up on cheap WHITE.

I presume thats for white fuel pete? if so then why are we paying nearly that for red.

Quote Originally Posted by benjenbav View Post
    With inexorable UK duty/VAT increases I think that before long we will all be heading over to France to fill up on cheap WHITE.
    Before we lost the red I cruised the North coast of France from St Vaast to Boulonge , fuel wasnt that bad and the cheaper berthing costs and cheaper restaurants easily compensated for the extra fuel costs.

Now UK duty is so much higher I expect a cruising holiday in North France will be cheaper than the west country.

I can recommend

St Vaast, Trouville, Honfluer, Le Havre, Fecamp ,Dieppe, Boulonge, across to Eastbourne and back, its not that far either. 350nm ish and only a short cruise home at any point if the weather starts to turn.

Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    I presume thats for white fuel pete? if so then why are we paying nearly that for red.
    Yes Paul.
    I sent an email to La capitainerie, du port de plaisance de Cherbourg a couple of days ago specifically requesting the cost for a pleasure boat 150L being the amount most of us will burn on the way.

I've been to France a few times and always been surprised how reasonable the fuel is.

It is duty paid but I think it is marine diesel possibly with a green dye ???
    I dont think it is road diesel.

Certainly my ADAQ 41's used to smoke just as much but you could tell when white road diesel was in from Guernsey. (My 4.2L D300 seem as happy on either.)

PaulGooch is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Latestarter1 View Post
    At last a breath of fresh air and common sense...............
    Until they dip the tanks and find more red than white and you get fined

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGooch View Post
    Until they dip the tanks and find more red than white and you get fined
    You have receipts to show you bought the red legally in the UK duty paid 60/40.
    You have a receipt to show you boat duty paid white on arrival, in fact 150L was the most you could squeeze in.

They are not allowed to restrict EU members passage.

Job done, and there are no reports of fines after tanks being dipped, only a few reports of boaters being caught tipping red jerry cans in, frankly that practice is wrong just not British

<snip>

It is duty paid but I think it is marine diesel possibly with a green dye ???
    I dont think it is road diesel.

<Snip>
    You think so ? But it's against the EU directive to use "marked" fuel Pete. Any chance of confirming the colour and type of fuel ?

You have receipts to show you bought the red legally in the UK duty paid 60/40.
    You have a receipt to show you boat duty paid white on arrival, in fact 150L was the most you could squeeze in.

They are not allowed to restrict EU members passage.

Job done, and there are no reports of fines after tanks being dipped, only a few reports of boaters being caught tipping red jerry cans in, frankly that practice is wrong just not British
    You're kidding ?

This is one of your famous wind-ups Pete ?