Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    z1ppy is offline Registered User

looking good Ben!

Will try and get down in the next few weeks. been a bit busy recently but will explain when i catch up with you!

Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    Ben progress looks good, while your fitting new valves id fit 1 1/2 just incase one day you decide to re engine and up the hp in which case you will need more flow to cool the bigger motors, fo the extra cost it would be worth it.

Samco hoses are for rally cars etc and will stand the heat in an engine bay, im not sure about salt water though, id go for a size you can get hose for easily and work from there.
    Bigger motors? I'd love to and have a plan, but its a while away at the rate money is pouring through my fingers at the moment.

Spoke to Samco, they say sea water in their hoses is fine, but for suction I need reinforced, need a reducer 90deg, 35mm and 25mm, just waiting to hear back on the size.

Generally progress is good.

We've even got some new wood fitted!!

Centre console now looking much better and a lots of sanded items ready to be undercoated, new battery boxes I made in plywood too as I couldn't stand the plastic ones.

Santa came very early this week in the shape of a new Morse control from a fellow forumite and new round bezels for the dash, its going to look soo much better.

A chum has just launched his newly re-engined H28 so I had better get cracking and get out there on the water.

Some good news, after three weeks with the keel tented in with 2 dehuidifiers running the wood is dry enough for the new keel to go on. Busy easter....

One fuel tank being painted.

First undercoat on the topsides.

One battery box with cleaned and scrubbed strainers.

The other battery box containing 2 AVB stern glands with new seals (its an easy job), two painted half couplings, 2 painted gear shift cable mouths, 6 new poly carb lids for the tank inspection hatches all drilled and ready to fit.

SP2 is offline Registered User

Great progress, Ben - keep the photos coming.

Reminds me of the restoration work we did on our Cox and Haswell a few years back - I occasionally see them on ebay going for a song as "projects" but SWMBO says "no".

It is always rewarding to see the fruits of one's labours coming together.

Have a great working Easter!

Divemaster1 is offline Registered User

Brilliant !!! Need to re-do my battery boxes as well....but engine back together is 1st priority..
    Regards, Alf

I've stopped drinking water .... I have seen what it does to the bottom of our boat!

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."

I would kill for a project like that, keep the pics coming!!

Hi, On the off chance that you haven't committed to any through hull's yet, Blakes do proper DZR seacocks with bronze through-hull bolts to clamp on an external DZR strainer plate, similar to Grocco's. While many people use the Bronze Skin fitting -> DZR Ball Valve -> Bronze hose tail option, one alternative is to contact Vetus who supply fully Bronze Ball Valves, albeit at higher cost than DZR from Aquafax (I've found it's typically twice the cost of a DZR fitting).

Cor you've done well this weekend, getting paint on, that's progress I am envious of!

It seems like all I have done all weekend is to grind back fibreglass, only about another 2 hours to go and we'll be ready to start laminating the new transom in.

I did have one success, I got a new engine starter button; guess what it comes off?

I love this thread ! nice work on a nice boat,
    thanks for posting, and pls keep the pictures coming.

these battery boxes, did you just paint them, or dit you put a plastic layer first ?
    same question for the internal wooden parts.

For the rebuilding on my boat, the Italian craftsmen put a thin layer of GRP on all wooden parts before painting,
    I'm wondering if this practice is also used in UK ?

Quote Originally Posted by BartW View Post
    I love this thread ! nice work on a nice boat,
    thanks for posting, and pls keep the pictures coming.

these battery boxes, did you just paint them, or dit you put a plastic layer first ?
    same question for the internal wooden parts.

For the rebuilding on my boat, the Italian craftsmen put a thin layer of GRP on all wooden parts before painting,
    I'm wondering if this practice is also used in UK ?
    Epoxy glass often used in the UK on old wood, makes a very stable substrate for 2 pack paint.

I tend not to go so far on bits that are demountable like the battery boxes.

I've been down tonight a whacked a second undercoat on the topside, wrist and shoulder aching now.