Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Time for an update.

I should apologise for the poor quality photos, there is two reasons, its a very cheap camera and I'm a dreadful photographer.

The really good news is that all the keel bolts are now out, including the 4 very long ones which took over an hour each. I've bought enough bronze rod and nuts and washers to replace them. I can't help but think, when considering the alternatives, that bronze is the best compromise of being contemporary to the boat and corrosion resistant.

Console starting to look really good.

Bit more broken wood fixed with a new bit.

Yet more new wood.

Third attempt at laminating a pair of new supports for the anti cavitation plate at the transom.

A locker lid being painted.

rbcoomer is offline Registered User

A few late nights there if that camera clock is correct!

Excellent progress - keep it up as I love these inspirational threads! I'm looking forward to starting on the restoration phase of mine, but still seems a long way off...

I like the console too.
    S.Devon Pub Meets: ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3853165
    Fletcher Rally: swfbr.org.uk

Gathering pace now...

As of this evening the new keel is in place, shipwright Jim did a cracking job of scarfing the keel together, African mahogany, 1 1/8 thick, 3 1/2 inches wide. It was dry fitted on the weekend and tonight its glued in place.

I think, aside from a couple of tiny bits, all woodwork is now complete! Yay!

I just have a huge amount of painting to do.

Pictures speak a thousand words.

New cockpit linings in place.

We extended the outer extremity of this new bulkhead to strengthen the joint in the frame at the chine.

One thing I wanted to achieve was addressing the strength of the inner structure of the boat, right to the core. I'm happy that we've done that. Good as new! I'm sure the 'Three Wise Men' would approve.

vas is offline Registered User

excellent work you're doing there BB!

really enjoy looking at the progress and wonder how I'm going to tackle some similar (but on a larger scale) issues with plywood, frame strengthening, etc on MiToS.

May well PM you at some point soonish (I hope)

cheers

V.

AndieMac is offline Registered User

Great job Ben, as you lay the last coat of paint on I'm sure it will be a sense of closure and relief on a big project, but very satisfying.

Um....I went to get the engines from the shed...and not everything went well.....

Last winter as the boat was ashore for the first time all winter for many years I drained the engines down. Come spring, knowing that the engines were coming out 6 months later for this current chunk of work, I refilled them with water only, on the basis it would be a waste of antifreeze. Come last October, on the day I took the engines out and had the boat lifted I broke my arm falling off the boat, we also had a lot on our plate with an elderley relly on his last legs in hospital, so my mind wasn't fully on the boat.

I forgot to drain the blocks.

Frost damage.

I have one engine with a sump full of water.

Pants.

z1ppy is offline Registered User

Talking

Gutted for you!!!

rbcoomer is offline Registered User

Oh no - that doesn't sound at all good... Really sorry to hear that

What are the engines?
    S.Devon Pub Meets: ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3853165
    Fletcher Rally: swfbr.org.uk

Divemaster1 is online now Registered User

Sorry to hear that... good luck with the investigation.
    Regards, Alf

I've stopped drinking water .... I have seen what it does to the bottom of our boat!

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."

petem is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    Um....I went to get the engines from the shed...and not everything went well.....

Last winter as the boat was ashore for the first time all winter for many years I drained the engines down. Come spring, knowing that the engines were coming out 6 months later for this current chunk of work, I refilled them with water only, on the basis it would be a waste of antifreeze. Come last October, on the day I took the engines out and had the boat lifted I broke my arm falling off the boat, we also had a lot on our plate with an elderley relly on his last legs in hospital, so my mind wasn't fully on the boat.

I forgot to drain the blocks.

Frost damage.

I have one engine with a sump full of water.

Pants.
    Very unlucky considering the mild winter we've had.