Thread: Winch Maker

Default Winch Maker

Can anybody identify the manufacturer of this winch?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think its possibly a Barton winch with the handle going into the slot in the top of the drum.
    j

MoodySabre is offline Registered User

It looks like the undentified one http://jimtovey.com/#/shop/455914840...-approx/787534. Sorry that's not very helpful.
    Not all who wander are lost

earlybird is offline Registered User

I'd agree it's a Barton Tufnol winch, probably going back 30 to 40 years or more at a guess.

Default Winches

The answer in less than 30mins - This forum is a great thing! Thanks. The next question - these winches still work but the handle slots are broken and the tufnol knurling is worn - are there any available that look the same, are the same size and will work for another 30 years? I have looked on the Barton website but the new winches are completely different.

ianat182 is offline Registered User

I believe that Gibb also made Tufnol winches for some years.
    I see you are in Holland but you could try phoning or emailing the 'Chandlery Barge' at Bursledon. Give them the dimensions of the ones you've got and they may find an equivalent, possibly with a lever armat the base.
    On my Westerly Tiger there are two tufnol winches mounted on the original Proctor mast for halyards, and this may be a source, though possibly slightly larger .

Many of the original Silhouettes and Caprices had these winches too.

ianat182

Default 2 for 2

I found a tufnol manufacturer who could make replacement parts but at BIG expense so I'm going to get some new ones.

Next question:

This oil lamp: It has ENGLISH MADE 3/4 IN W on the Wick adjuster but no other identifying marks that I can see. I am after a matching one, it used to be one of a pair but the other has disappeared. There are some similar on classic boat parts and other websites but none like this with 4 'glass retaining prongs' and the same shape gimble mount.
    Has anybody any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

WilliamUK is offline Registered User

I do wonder if you might have more joy starting a new thread about the lamp.
    There may be a lamp expert out there who wouldn't read this thread as it's about a winch.

Nice looking lamp.
    William
    Blithe Spirit - Lark 1804.

Smile New Thread

Good idea William UK

Thanks, I like it!