Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Tidewaiter2 is offline Registered User
    Location : Now will we actually get out of the Solent in 2014 the way this season is going.

Default Quick, the nets and terriers!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix of Hamble View Post
    Hee hee.... Love it.... A yank with a proper sense of humour!
    Gottim? Good, He can Moderate the Red Diesel threads (til he gets over here and visits Les Belges)
    Ah, no one has told him the bad news yet!
    He still has time to clean his tanks and stock white diesel.
    Last edited by Tidewaiter2; 28-02-12 at 20:52.
    "Journos Luxury Yacht"=a hole in the water for time, money,affection,blood,sweat n tears

Quote Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
    So, either the colonists were very homesick or the only people that left Britain were the ones with no imagination.
    Probably both!

Welcome to the madhouse.

No need to translate on my account - I work for a US business and spend my life having to deal with spelling, grammer and pronunciation that is cringeworthy!

ps - Best story of this week ( so far, and its only Tuesday ). US colleague to one of us in the UK office. "Could you please let me know the times and fares for the trains from Edinburgh to Dublin?"

Hee hee.... A US colleague asked me a few weeks back if he'd need his passport to visit Edinburgh after a meeting in London.

I told him.... "not yet"

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix of Hamble View Post
    Hee hee.... A US colleague asked me a few weeks back if he'd need his passport to visit Edinburgh after a meeting in London.

I told him.... "not yet"

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC is offline Registered User

Translation isn't too difficult. I have figured out that half seven is 7:30 and a few other common foreign terms. If the British would just learn how to spell (colour, cheque?) it would be easier. The pronunciation could use a bit of help as well. Thames = tims. Worcester = wooster?
    I have problems with both spelling and pronunciation; I am,so grateful to google spelling checker; as for the pronunciation, I always ask and confirm with my SWMBO.

skipmac -

"I understand you can leave the boat in EU for 18 months but to reset my Schengen clock I would have to commute back and forth across the Atlantic; not fun or cheap. Grumble, grumble."

I skippered a US registered 45'er up and down the Channel etc. for the last couple of years and we visited Guernsey a couple of times (the Channel Is not being part of the EU) to 'reset the Schengen clock'. Seemed to work quite well. Not a problem.

You might brush up on your tidal theory before going to the CIs - where they are quite large ! - your compatriot explained to me that in the US tides only went up and down, never along or across !!!
    He was soon disabused of this going down the Russell.......

Good luck

skipmac is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by stephenh View Post
    You might brush up on your tidal theory before going to the CIs - where they are quite large ! - your compatriot explained to me that in the US tides only went up and down, never along or across !!!
    He was soon disabused of this going down the Russell.......

Good luck
    Well, especially Florida the tides don't do much in either direction. Typically up and down +/- 2' in most places. But we do have this little thing off the coast called the Gulf Stream. Only moves 2-3 kts but you have to cross 20-30 nm of it. You do have to account for it crossing to the Bahamas. I do hear that the Channel does that and more plus changes directions every few hours.

I'll just do what all the visiting boaters do over here. Pick someone in a local boat and follow them around.

Ludd is offline Registered User

Well I had considered the route across the north Atlantic to the UK, maybe even stopping in Greenland and Iceland but the crew threatened mutiny so will probably do the regular US - Bermuda - Azores - ??

The question is where to go when I get there. Can't miss UK and Ireland and as long as I am in that part of Europe should drop in on a friend in Denmark. But that leaves me a long way from the Med and with the Schengen rules for us dangerous foreigners I will be running out of time. Would have to make a long, mad dash for some non EU destination to avoid running afoul of the law. I understand you can leave the boat in EU for 18 months but to reset my Schengen clock I would have to commute back and forth across the Atlantic; not fun or cheap. Grumble, grumble.

Can't you guys do something to fix this little irritation? I promise not to move in and become a freeloader if allowed to hang around more than 90 days.
    If you spend time in the by-then independent Scotland ,the Rump UK,and other northern EU countries ,I think you can "reset your clock " by spending time in Norway.Worth checking.

skipmac is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN FANTASTIC View Post
    I have problems with both spelling and pronunciation; I am,so grateful to google spelling checker; as for the pronunciation, I always ask and confirm with my SWMBO.
    If not for spell checker everyone would know me for the ignoramus that I am. But you do have to watch spell checker as well. Once sent an email and meant to write etymology, misspelled it and the spell checker changed it to entomology. The sentence didn't quite read the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle View Post
    No need to translate on my account - I work for a US business and spend my life having to deal with spelling, grammer and pronunciation that is cringeworthy!
    As in Kelsey Grammer of Frasier? BTW They had an episode around a kids' spelling-B. Don't know if they had to spell grammar, though...

Mike.