Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Default Select Transducer

    Hello,

    I have a Maxum 1900 SR3 boat with extended swimming platform (I/O mercruiser).
    I would like to install a 1KW transducer (M260 or TM 260) or even a 2KW(R199).
    Can you please advice what kind is better to install (In Hull or Transom) and if I should I avoid any type?

    Can you also advice on the best place to install it?

    Pictures of Boat Hull:
    http://boats.iboats.com/2007-19-maxu...c/1100531.html


    BR,
    Marios

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by koutroul View Post
    Hello,

    I have a Maxum 1900 SR3 boat with extended swimming platform (I/O mercruiser).
    I would like to install a 1KW transducer (M260 or TM 260) or even a 2KW(R199).
    Can you please advice what kind is better to install (In Hull or Transom) and if I should I avoid any type?

    Can you also advice on the best place to install it?

    Pictures of Boat Hull:
    http://boats.iboats.com/2007-19-maxu...c/1100531.html


    BR,
    Marios
    The transom transducer would be more suitable in your case. The transducer needs to shoot forward to allow for the vessels speed and having the transducer mounted at the transom means the angle can be adjusted easily. If it was in hull or shooting through the hull it would be at a fixed angle so you would only get a decent return signal at certain speeds, probably at only a few knots.
    Mount the transducer about halfway between the chine and the keel well clear of any rubbing strakes.
    1kw transducer is a very powerful setup and may be overkill depending on what you have in mind. Choosing the frequency is more important or going dual frequency [50 and 200] plus the angle of the cone. It has to match your head unit too of course.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishermantwo View Post
    The transom transducer would be more suitable in your case. The transducer needs to shoot forward to allow for the vessels speed and having the transducer mounted at the transom means the angle can be adjusted easily. If it was in hull or shooting through the hull it would be at a fixed angle so you would only get a decent return signal at certain speeds, probably at only a few knots.
    Mount the transducer about halfway between the chine and the keel well clear of any rubbing strakes.
    1kw transducer is a very powerful setup and may be overkill depending on what you have in mind. Choosing the frequency is more important or going dual frequency [50 and 200] plus the angle of the cone. It has to match your head unit too of course.
    What do you mean by "Choosing the frequency is more important or going dual frequency [50 and 200] plus the angle of the cone. It has to match your head unit too of course."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by koutroul View Post
    What do you mean by "Choosing the frequency is more important or going dual frequency [50 and 200] plus the angle of the cone. It has to match your head unit too of course."
    It all depends on what your aiming for with this installation. If its for fishing then it is going to depend on what depths your interested in. 200hz transducers are good for depths less than 100 metres. Fish will show up as individuals unless they are in a tight school then the pulse length [the physical length of same will be long enough to make the targets appear as one]. Over 100 metres down to about 600 metres you need 50hz. Any deeper you need something like 28 hz. Using a low frequency in shallow water will cause larger fish to show as inverted u's and smaller fish in schools to be shown as one larger fish. Bottom lock will not discriminate between fish close to the bottom and kelp etc growing on the bottom.
    The lower the frequency the longer the range but the lower the frequency also have longer pulse widths so discrimination is not so good. Your set will automatically change these parameters when you make the switch selection in frequencies. More power is required as well at depths like 500 metres but this is also dependant on the efficiency of the transducer. Modern sets 1kw should be enough.
    The angle of the cone is important as well. 20 degrees is fine for shallow water but about 8 degrees in deep water still covers a large area on the bottom.
    The head unit will have either one frequency choice or up to three and a maximum power output. The transducer has to match. The head unit sends a signal to the transducer and cause it to vibrate the transducer [piezo electric] so the power and frequency have to be compatible. The 'sound' is sent through the water until it hits something and is bounced back. The set then has to be sensitive enough to receive and interpret the signal, process it and show on the screen.
    If you already own the head unit look at transducer manufacturers webpages and find the matching transducer[s].
    Try Airmar webpages.

  5. #5
    VicMallows is offline Registered User
    Location : Emsworth, Chichester Hbr, UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishermantwo View Post
    Over 100 metres down to about 600 metres you need 50hz. Any deeper you need something like 28 hz.
    Intrigued. What fish are you fishing for?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VicMallows View Post
    Intrigued. What fish are you fishing for?
    Blue eye Trevalla and Hapuka.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •