Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Vara is offline Registered User

Communication sent to my MP, with a copy to MP for Dover.
    Formerly known as colmce.
    http://www.seafieldfarmcottages.co.uk

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

There's also http://www.publications.parliament.u...ne-leisure.htm bunch, the All-Party Parliamentary Sailing and Marine Leisure Group. Might be worth including them in any letters.
    Next time, it'll all be different.

CFarr is offline Registered User

I apologise if this is a stupid question but I can't see an explanation anywhere in all the threads about this fiasco.

I assume that the French, Belgians et al all fill their boats with white diesel.
    Do they then have white diesel at their marinas and if so does that contain bio-fuel which several on here say is contained in our road fuel and have said causes engine problems?

Or is there a specific 'marine diesel' they use on the continent?
    I find it hard to believe there would be another variant of diesel road fuel refined just for sale to the UK when all the car/truck engines are exactly the same.

or am I wrong?
    It's alright for you but, how do you Frank Ifield?

Cantata is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CFarr View Post
    I apologise if this is a stupid question but I can't see an explanation anywhere in all the threads about this fiasco.
    I assume that the French, Belgians et al all fill their boats with white diesel.
    Do they then have white diesel at their marinas and if so does that contain bio-fuel which several on here say is contained in our road fuel and have said causes engine problems?
    I find it hard to believe there would be another variant of diesel road fuel refined just for sale to the UK when all the car/truck engines are exactly the same.
    or am I wrong?
    I've asked the same question of various people over the last year and so far nobody has come up with an explanation.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Seah0rse is offline Registered User

Default Fill up in Europe

If my rig wasn't already overseas, my work around to the problem would be to fill up across the Channel and sail back having also stocked up with beer and wine. Its cheaper in Guernsey anyway! Can't remember if it was red or white there though, the fuel that is, not the wine. One tank here usually lasted me at least a season as I would sail whenever possible. I'm planning to fill up in Gib this year where I hear it's cheaper still.
    Please don't litter our sea. Seah0rse

dhobyb is offline Registered User

Wonder if a threat not to turn up for the Jubilee boat bash might focus some minds, of for us that are not invited perhaps we all go to Weymouth in August.......

Quote Originally Posted by Seah0rse View Post
    If my rig wasn't already overseas, my work around to the problem would be to fill up across the Channel and sail back having also stocked up with beer and wine.
    That's what we do
    www.guapa.pn
    Be realistic - aim for the impossible!

maxi77 is offline Registered User

or am I wrong?
    Having been overseas for 18 months I know several of my fill ups were road diesel because the fuel pontoon was connected to a garage. I suspect most of the other ones were road diesel as well, at least I was paying the same price as road diesel not a marina rip off even if it was in a marina.

The UK has some pretty bizzare pricing policies when it comes to fuel as far as I can see.
    Peter

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

Letter gone to my MP, to Sir Peter Bottomley MP who chairs the All Party Parliamentary Sailing Group and to Chloe Smith MP, Economic Secretary to the Treasury, whose name is on the damnable piece of paper. Letter to HMRC tomorrow (need more stamps).
    Next time, it'll all be different.

or am I wrong?
    In Belgium we fill up with white diesel in the harbours, which as far as I know is regular road diesel, with full road diesel taxation. Diesel here contains 4% biofuel. So far I have never heard of engine problems as a result of using white diesel. On the contrary, some people report that white diesel makes their Eberspachers run better.