Thread: Ammonia

Default Ammonia

After a nearby boat was sand blasted with less than effective tenting, my boat was covered in a very fine dust which appears to have ingrained itself into the gelcoat. On flat surfaces it can be removed by compounding, but on the none slip obviously this is not an option.

After trying a range of marine and domestic products to clean it up, the one that appears to be most effecient is ammonia. We have so far just tried small test areas; does anybody know whether there is a downside to using ammonia on fibreglass? I am particularly concerned about any effect on my dark blue hull.

nigelmercier is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richardbrennan View Post
    the one that appears to be most effecient is ammonia ...
    I assume you mean ammonia solution or ammonium hydroxide (ammonia is a gas), but do you mean just this, or in a cleaning product?
    ⓒ Nigel Mercier 2014
    FREE Bavaria Yacht Forum: www.bavariayacht.info

The product we tried was a domestic cleaning product, I think it was labeled "Domestic Ammonia" or something similar.

2Tizwoz is offline Registered User

Default Household ammonia strength

Household ammonia ranges in concentration from 5 to 10 weight percent ammonia. Dilute it with 3 parts water to one of ammonia.

Don't leave it on too long and http://www.bb-elec.com/bb-elec/liter...nical_data.pdf

The obvious test is to try it on an inconspicuous area first.