Question Advansea intruments

I've been looking to replace our rather temperamental/erratic TackTick 101 wind system.
    I've been offered an Advansea S400 at a very good price as a replacement.

However, I am totally unfamiliar with the brand; so I would appreciate any firsthand feedback.

Thanks.
    www.guapa.pn
    Everybody lies; but it doesn't matter because no-one listens.

galadriel is offline Registered User

Do you remember how great Navman instruments where? Get Raymarine or Garmin.
    "You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you"
    Roger Waters 1972

andrewbroadbent is offline Registered User
    Location : Me in Fleet, the boat at Universal Marina, River Hamble.

The navman instruments which came with our boat all failed after 5 - 6 yrs. They have been replaced with NASA, which are at least cheap if / when they fail.
    Andy B
    Sadler 29 "Kwik Decision"

galadriel is offline Registered User

I'm just replacing the Autohelm/Raymarine instruments on my boat after 19 years, there was nothing wrong with them. I'm taking a gamble with the Garmin ones, but Garmin will work with my plotter and, well, Garmin is Garmin.

There was someone on the forum not long ago with problems with Nexus instruments. My view is all these small fringe manufactures are what they are because they just aint very good.

I am surprised the OP had trouble with Tack-Tic though, very surprised.
    "You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you"
    Roger Waters 1972

You could also consider B & G as they are now reasonably competitive

reeac is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Guapa View Post
    I've been looking to replace our rather temperamental/erratic TackTick 101 wind system.
    I've been offered an Advansea S400 at a very good price as a replacement.

However, I am totally unfamiliar with the brand; so I would appreciate any firsthand feedback.

Thanks.
    In what way is your TackTick system troublesome? We've had trouble with our TT wind transducer getting sticky but I'm hoping that the squirt of Wurth 2040 Ultra [containd ptfe] that I gave it last Autumn will prove to be a lasting cure.

Quote Originally Posted by galadriel View Post
    I am surprised the OP had trouble with Tack-Tic though, very surprised.
    Installed a T101 system over four years ago now.
    Since then the display has been returned to TackTic twice - once for a software upgrade and once for replacement.
    The masthead unit has had the battery replaced twice already.

My gripes with the thing:
    1. It rains: the signal is gone. This has been blamed on an old battery, old software and the fact that the masthead unit sits 19m above the display unit. Whatever...
    2. At night: using any level of backlighting seriously drains the battery. If you use backlighting after around 3 hours the thing goes flat, without backlighting after five. Nighttime sailing (especially in winter) can be interesting.

When it works - it's great. It just doesn't work all of the time.

TackTic customer service can not be faulted. When the thing was in warranty they dealt with it without any hassle.
    However, warranty has run out and it's still acting up. Now looking for something more reliable that works ALL of the time.

Most of our instruments are Furuno - looking at that again, but rather expensive (when bought in the UK). Now looking at US suppliers ($ price = price).
    Also considering NKE.

Was offered the Advansea at less than half price of the Furuno. Given the less than glowing comments on here, I think I'll give it a miss.
    www.guapa.pn
    Everybody lies; but it doesn't matter because no-one listens.

aluijten is offline Registered User

No personal experience with advansea. But I did have a close look at the stuff and I did like what I saw. I know it's the new (Chineese) brand carried by Plastimo as alternative for Navman.
    I really like the fact that advansea carries a proper mechanical dial for the windmeter as I find that much easier to read then a LCD.
    Also the new stuff from Raymarine as well as Garmin looks very nice with all the color displays, but also uses much more power compared to the old stuff. I wonder how the advansea stuff compares to this.

We have had the Avansea plotter at the helm for over 18 months no probs.
    We also have the Ais transponder with it .
    They worked continously for the trip back from North Carolina to Uk last May.
    Apart from screen brightness at night,on the plotter I would say they offer great value for money and they have been very reliable.
    Cindy .