Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Fly tipping at Osea

I've just seen Nigel Harmers truly horrifying photos of the causeway at Osea on the EastCoastSailing website. I don't go that way myself as I have 1.5m draft but anyone who does without knowing is likely to rip their keel off if they hit that lot too fast. How 450 tons gets dumped without any one seeing even at a fairly remote location is amazing.

What with that and Berms at .9m off Whitstable its looking like an exiting season ahead!

Funnily enough I passed to of those large dumper trucks on Thursday heading away on the road from Heybridge. Judging by their speed they were empty. I wonder. Probably just a coincidence.

nortonmotors is offline Registered User

Default Fly tipping?

That looks very neat for a tip n' run job. Does it go all the way across, or will they be back on another tide?
    Faster, faster! Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of crashing.

That looks horrendous, fortunately I would never try going that side of Osea, although I have wondered at what state of the tide it is possible.

sarabande is offline Registered User

HTH for those unfamiliar with the area.

Pic from EastCoast Sailing, by Nigel Harmers

http://www.eastcoastsailing.co.uk/news.html
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

That doesn't look like fly tipping, more like a deliberate attempt to raise the roadway and stop navigation.
    The boat that has sunk at Nass Beacon apparently hit the Stumble and was holed. Could there be a connection, or is this too recent?

MoodySabre is offline Registered User

My friends circumnavigated Osea on Sunday in their Konsort blissfully unaware. I have emailed them details of their narrow escape
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    HTH for those unfamiliar with the area.

Pic from EastCoast Sailing, by Nigel Harmers

http://www.eastcoastsailing.co.uk/news.html
    I'm reminded of a picture that Charlie Stock showed, of Shoal Waters aground here, completely blocking the road.
    He claimed that a car driver came along and started to give him a hard time, but Charlie won the argument.

Cantata is offline Registered User

It really doesn't look like fly-tipping, does it? Far too neat. You'd think fly-tippers would just dump it any old how and get out quickly.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

The Crebe definitely hit before this happened. The road was pretty hard before this if you went over too early in the tide. The Maldon Water Baliff is after authority to buy some yellow warning buoys and mark the area. I agree it looks very neat. In fact if it was dumped by tipper truck it's been very well done, pretty evenly spread out and not on the road. At low water there are not many vantage points fromn which normal travellers would spot tbhis going on. Walkers on the seawall might.