Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    electrosys is offline Registered User
    Location : Boston - gateway to the North Sea (and bugger all else).

Ok - so a fair few years ago the Earth was nowt but a ball of molten metal and other minerals, which slowly began to cool and form a crust, which is more-or-less exactly where we are today.

So - where did all the water come from ?
    te nunquam solus schizophreniae cum

Quote Originally Posted by electrosys View Post
    Ok - so a fair few years ago the Earth was nowt but a ball of molten metal and other minerals, which slowly began to cool and form a crust, which is more-or-less exactly where we are today.

So - where did all the water come from ?
    Comets, amazingly! (Now you are going to ask where comets got their water; it's like having a curious child, I imagine...)

Mike.

Roberto is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by armchairsailor View Post
    In best Bogie voice:

Here's lookin' at Euclid.

always wanted to use that one.

May I borrow it one or two times
    dalan dalan dalan, dalan dalan dalan, dalan dalan dalan dan dan

r
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/

BAtoo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lustyd View Post
    And also

Tut tut...........

BAtoo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SHUG View Post
    So the answer is...140m,559m,1800ft,1700ft,558m or 196m
    Great!!!!!!
    1800ft is 548.64m - or 300 fathoms

1700ft is 16.666667fathoms less than 548.46m

and they are all somewhat more than 140 or 196m

Quote Originally Posted by geoid96 View Post
    You are correct that the geoid is not exactly the same as MSL. The geoid is a gravity equipotential surface whereas MSL is also influenced by the other local effects that you mention. Thatís why I said the geoid is an attempt to model the MSL surface and also extend it underneath the land masses. The point I was making is that globally the geoid is far closer to MSL than it is to the ellipsoid and that MSL is the most common vertical datum for heights on maps.

I think my avtar was based on an even older global geoid model, OSU91a. EGM96 and EGM2008 are considerably refined, but at the scale and resolution, I think it would be difficult to see any difference. Iím currently working on a project using AUSGeoid09. This is a regional refinement of EGM2008 that also incorporates a several thousand extra gravity measurements and precise levelling. The trouble is that nothing stands still. The earth is slowly getting fatter and the tectonic plates are slowly shifting.
    I think the OSU Geoid was the first one I used in anger!

Quote Originally Posted by Kintail View Post
    To confuse the issue further. The curvature is so gradual that when we are sailing we are by and large on a flat surface. However the world is round so are we ever sailing " uphill or downhill" however gradual?
    No, because wherever you are on the earth's surface "level" is at right angles to a line running to the centre of the earth at that point.

geoid96 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by alan_d View Post
    No, because wherever you are on the earth's surface "level" is at right angles to a line running to the centre of the earth at that point.
    Level is a surface that is perpendicular to the local vertical as defined by the direction of a precise plumb bob. There are two reasons that this does not point exactly to the centre of mass of the earth. Firstly, the earth not being spherical means that it tends to point to a point perpendicular to the surface of the ellipse. Secondly the earths crust is very irregular in terms of terrain and density. This means there are significant local deviations of the vertical.

As AntarcticPilot has described earlier, other than gravity, there are other factors that can influence sea level Mean Sea Level. On that basis, and forgetting tidal variations, it could be argued that we are sometimes slightly sailing uphill or downhill. However I don't think it's worth trying to allow for it in your passage planning.

electrosys is offline Registered User
    Location : Boston - gateway to the North Sea (and bugger all else).

Quote Originally Posted by mjcoon View Post
    Comets, amazingly! (Now you are going to ask where comets got their water; it's like having a curious child, I imagine...)

Mike.
    You say this with such certainty - but then, it's a better explanation than 'Genesis, Chapter 1'.

Now - about these comets ....
    te nunquam solus schizophreniae cum

Quote Originally Posted by electrosys View Post
    You say this with such certainty - but then, it's a better explanation than 'Genesis, Chapter 1'.

Now - about these comets ....

http://thelivingcosmos.com/TheOrigin...h_12May06.html
    ۞