Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Which Boat to buy????

Hi, it's been ages since I've been on the forum, I sold my last boat, an Invicta 26, in 2010 and weathered a personal financial storm last year, anyhow I've come through the other side reletively unscathed and in better shape financially. So a new boat now beckons! All boats are a compromise but I would like some advice if possible on what's out there and worth having. I'm looking to spend an absolute maximum of 15,000 (less if poss). My wife basically wants a floating caravan, so reasonable accomodation is a must, I want something that I'll be able to sail single handed occasionally and short handed virtually all the time, I want something that'll take me across the north sea to holland occasionally (from the north east not the short crossing from Lowestoft) but will equally be at home having a gentle bimble around the coast on the very occasional sunny summers day, and finally something that we can spend a couple of weeks living on every year in the summer.
    I have thought about a Moody 33 Mk1 but realistically I don't think my budget will stretch that far.
    I realise boats are very personel and every one has to be seen as a compromise in some way, but i would be very gratefull for any advice or recommendations.

Have a look at a trapper 500/501, would fit your budget and all what you have described.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffBoath View Post
    Hi, it's been ages since I've been on the forum, I sold my last boat, an Invicta 26, in 2010 and weathered a personal financial storm last year, anyhow I've come through the other side reletively unscathed and in better shape financially. So a new boat now beckons! All boats are a compromise but I would like some advice if possible on what's out there and worth having. I'm looking to spend an absolute maximum of 15,000 (less if poss). My wife basically wants a floating caravan, so reasonable accomodation is a must, I want something that I'll be able to sail single handed occasionally and short handed virtually all the time, I want something that'll take me across the north sea to holland occasionally (from the north east not the short crossing from Lowestoft) but will equally be at home having a gentle bimble around the coast on the very occasional sunny summers day, and finally something that we can spend a couple of weeks living on every year in the summer.
    I have thought about a Moody 33 Mk1 but realistically I don't think my budget will stretch that far.
    I realise boats are very personel and every one has to be seen as a compromise in some way, but i would be very gratefull for any advice or recommendations.
    Fox`s in Ipswich have a very nice Moody 30 on their books, seriously for sale might be worth a look.
    http://www.foxsyachts.co.uk/used-sail-yachts.htm
    over your budget BUT would be worth an offer
    Last edited by sailorman; 28-02-12 at 21:13.
    I may be wrong but not always

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC is offline Registered User

The reality is that it is a buyer's market and there a lot of yachts out there waiting and open to offers; many yachts are well overpriced and are selling for 20%to 30% less that the asking price. So, grab the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN FANTASTIC View Post
    The reality is that it is a buyer's market and there a lot of yachts out there waiting and open to offers; many yachts are well overpriced and are selling for 20%to 30% less that the asking price. So, grab the opportunity.
    Would agree with that but a moody 33, I don't think so
    Last edited by Spyro; 28-02-12 at 21:07.

NealB is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    Would agree with that but a moody 31, I don't think so, owners seem to think they are worth a lot more
    Maybe Sailorman meant the 30 , not the 31?

Thanks for the wise words so far, I'm in no particular hurry so I plan to wait for the right boat to come along, fingers crossed.

I don't realistically expect to get a Moody 33 for 15000, i guess I'm just floating that as the type of boat that seems to meet most of my requirements.

Have a look at a Seamaster 925 (or Seamaster 28 or 29 as some are called - all pretty much the same boat). Spacious for the length and age, well built, sails well and easy to sail single handed. You should be able to find one within budget.
    Jonathan / Aeolus

Hi Jeff

For some time there has been a moody 29 for sale in our marina, guess she may well be worth a keen offer!http://www.networkyachtbrokers.co.uk...y_29-1436.html

Alternativly get yourself a real tough boat and get a 28'-6" Colvic Watson!

Mike
    Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group