Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49

Thread: GJW Direct

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    6,925

    Default GJW Direct

    I've been shopping around for insurance for the Leisure I recently purchased. Being a bit lazy I did it on the web. GJW emailed me back with a quote for around 150 quid. With the email were some attatchments. One being the Key Facts blurb. The other a copy of the policy doc. The last being an Owners Condition Report. This I have been asked to fill in and return to them. It is basically a check list with boxes to tick being Good, Average, Poor, N/A. Surely in the event of a claim this would be one of their biggest get out clauses. I've had car insurance companies kick off in the event of a claim stating that the wheel trims are non standard!

    Now with the boat being over 20 years old I would have thought that they would have insisted on a survey. No where in the email/docs/policy etc does it state that they require one. Is this the norm? I could have sworn the last time I had insurance on the last boat a survey had to be submitted.

    So million dollar question, has anyboby got insurance with GJW? Any problems with them and, god forbid, has anyone had to use their insurance policy in anger?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    59,718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BarryH View Post
    I've been shopping around for insurance for the Leisure I recently purchased. Being a bit lazy I did it on the web. GJW emailed me back with a quote for around 150 quid. With the email were some attatchments. One being the Key Facts blurb. The other a copy of the policy doc. The last being an Owners Condition Report. This I have been asked to fill in and return to them. It is basically a check list with boxes to tick being Good, Average, Poor, N/A. Surely in the event of a claim this would be one of their biggest get out clauses. I've had car insurance companies kick off in the event of a claim stating that the wheel trims are non standard!

    Now with the boat being over 20 years old I would have thought that they would have insisted on a survey. No where in the email/docs/policy etc does it state that they require one. Is this the norm? I could have sworn the last time I had insurance on the last boat a survey had to be submitted.

    So million dollar question, has anyboby got insurance with GJW? Any problems with them and, god forbid, has anyone had to use their insurance policy in anger?


    GJW are highly regarded here
    I may be wrong but not always

  3. #3
    MoodySabre's Avatar
    MoodySabre is online now Registered User
    Location : Bradwell and Leigh-on-Sea
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    11,960

    Default

    I use GJW - no claims though fortunately.

    For my Moody they want a survey every 7 years. Perhaps there is a value limit below which you fall and they don't bother. Ring them up and ask.
    Not all who wander are lost

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,561

    Default

    I use GJW, again no claims. Our CA have negotiated a "self survey/certification"...sounds like you have a similar scheme.
    Sabre 27 134/49er GBR340/Foiling Moth GBR3116/Flying Fifteen K797/Fireball GBR14110

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    59,718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MoodySabre View Post
    I use GJW - no claims though fortunately.

    For my Moody they want a survey every 7 years. Perhaps there is a value limit below which you fall and they don't bother. Ring them up and ask.
    I am just changing to Y Yacht Ins.
    no survey req, just a log of maintenance & up-grades.
    Formally with HKJ until 15/03
    I may be wrong but not always

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    14,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BarryH View Post
    So million dollar question, has anyboby got insurance with GJW? Any problems with them and, god forbid, has anyone had to use their insurance policy in anger?
    Have been with them for many years (two boats).
    Two claims - both dealt with very professionally: minimum hassle and very promptly.
    Still with them & no intention of changing.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,759

    Default

    Most insurers I talked to had a lower limit below which you could / must self certify. It differs but it appears that under about 25 LOA can self certify but over that you need a survey. I think they do similar with age as well.

    Yachtline wanted to know how I had been looking after the boat and provided a self certify form to sign. I also had to confirm that the engine was professionally serviced (so i assume I would need to produce the invoice if I had a claim).
    Looking for Cheverton boats to feature on http://cheverton.org.uk/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,504

    Default

    We are insured with GJW

    Not required to have a professional survey on boat built in 1980

    Owners survey accepted

    I also attached copy of receipts for all recent major expenditure on outboards inflatable and on standing rigging and bottlescrew replacement and gas safety inspection.

    Not heard of any complaints regarding their service or their response to claims.

    Our boat was not expensive and they were quite happy to go down the self survey route as they understand that having a professional survey is very often an unnecessary cost to a new experienced owner.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    59,718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TSB240 View Post
    We are insured with GJW

    Not required to have a professional survey on boat built in 1980

    Owners survey accepted

    I also attached copy of receipts for all recent major expenditure on outboards inflatable and on standing rigging and bottlescrew replacement and gas safety inspection.

    Not heard of any complaints regarding their service or their response to claims.

    Our boat was not expensive and they were quite happy to go down the self survey route as they understand that having a professional survey is very often an unnecessary cost to a new experienced owner.
    my gas system never got a mention
    i have not insured dinghy or o/b as its not worth the bother, replacement dinghy & o/b 500 s/h & not worth losing NCB over
    I may be wrong but not always

  10. #10
    Seajet's Avatar
    Seajet is online now Registered User
    Location : West Sussex / Hants
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    18,644

    Default

    I've been with St Margarets / Haven for over 40 years, last year I thought their premium might be a bit steep so shopped around, and came back to them smartish !

    When I got my old 22' boat back a few years ago they insisted on a pro' survey, which I thought fair enough; then the next year they asked for the same again, when I replied ' you must be joking ?! ' they said ' fair enough, no surveys as long as you keep the vaue of boat & kit less than 10,000; it will no doubt surprise some to hear this took a bit of snipping off zero's for the odd bit of kit, but it seems as good a deal as I'll get, and there's always an alarm & shotgun as plan B & C.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •