Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GJW Direct

Also with GJW but as my little boat is worth less than 2K there was no mention of a survey.
    "ICUIDADO! LLAMA!"

I'm with GJW only been with them for a year and no problems at all. I thought 7 to post a policy a bit steep mind you.

Regarding a survey, they were quite strict with me. ie. The survey must come from the surveyor and not be emailed as it's easy to change. So we had to ask the surveyor to post them a copy with a covering letter.

benlui is offline Registered User

See below link to my previous post on GJW.
    Ive been with GJW now 5 years and unfortunately have had 2 claims. The last claim (small claim), just settled this week gone which was for vandalism & theft.
    I have to say, i do pay more for my policy than i would with others however, this is the best insurer i've EVER dealt with.
    They are SUPER helpful & very professional in a claim situation.
    Three years ago i was dis-masted and the boat itself suffered a lot of damage. These guys went above and beyond their duties, i could never thank them enough. i'de rather pay more any day for a top class insurer than a cheap one that are nothing but trouble when you need them.
    The only problem i can find with GJW is that i cant insure my house, cars, and everything else with them!
    They were very flexible when i wanted to insure my boat on a mooring all year around, and in general any requests i've had, they work with you to resolve same where possible. As for the Survey, my boat is 32 years old, they do require one every 5 years. but were flexible with this also.
    There are there when you need them in stressful times which to me is no. one.
    I couldn't say enough good things about them.

Heres the link on my previous post.
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182647

I insure with GJW, last boat didn't require a survey just a condition report, boat value 6K. Current boat (value 55K) had been surveyed before purshase but don't remember them asking for a copy of survey.
    Unfortunately I did have to make a claim six weeks into the new policy, I posted the claim with one quote for the work on a Friday and received an email on the following Monday afternoon giving the go ahead to have the work done. The email also stating that I shouldn't have to pay any excess as they would be claiming against a third party.
    Thought that was first class service from an insurance company, also their prices are generally pretty good too.

Robih is offline Registered User

I've been with GJW since 1995 and had one claim in that time. Excellent service, absolutely no complaints.

Philiz is offline Registered User

Reassuring to hear all these positive comments as we are also with GJW. We've not had a claim thankfully, but I know a couple of folk that have, all went without any hitches. I noticed our policy didn't cover us for Ireland, I rang them up and they included it with no extra charges or quibbles.
    'I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered! My life is my own!'

Quote Originally Posted by BarryH View Post
    So million dollar question, has anyboby got insurance with GJW? Any problems with them and, god forbid, has anyone had to use their insurance policy in anger?
    Last two times I've tried to get insurance with them, they taken all my details over the phone, in quite some depth, then sent a blank form out to me, so I can start again with the very same questions.

I used mercia too once. I arranged the insurance just before I set off on a 4 month trip. When I returned from the trip, I found a letter delivered to the address I gave them informing that my insurance was cancelled because I hadn't returned the paper work, so I did half the trip unknowingly uninsured.

Marine insurance industry is basically just **** compared to motor insurance.

Not helped with your problem, I know, but I felt the need for a rant
    http://onkudu.com 4 years living on a 21ft boat. 1 month on a 32ft.

JimC is offline Registered User

I've been insured with GJW for several years. Had first claim last year and it was very promptly and professionally dealt with. I would recommend them.

galadriel is offline Registered User

Just as a note in addition to my earlier post, I have a note on my renewal documents informing me that when my boat is 20years old (next year) a full out of the water survey will be needed.
    "You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you"
    Roger Waters 1972

benlui is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nathanlee View Post
    Last two times I've tried to get insurance with them, they taken all my details over the phone, in quite some depth, then sent a blank form out to me, so I can start again with the very same questions.

I used mercia too once. I arranged the insurance just before I set off on a 4 month trip. When I returned from the trip, I found a letter delivered to the address I gave them informing that my insurance was cancelled because I hadn't returned the paper work, so I did half the trip unknowingly uninsured.

Marine insurance industry is basically just **** compared to motor insurance.

Not helped with your problem, I know, but I felt the need for a rant
    That's quiet annoying to say the least.
    As for car insurance, i've yet to see or hear of a happy ending when it comes to a claim.