Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GJW Direct

onesea is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tom_sail View Post
    I'm with GJW only been with them for a year and no problems at all. I thought 7 to post a policy a bit steep mind you.

Regarding a survey, they were quite strict with me. ie. The survey must come from the surveyor and not be emailed as it's easy to change. So we had to ask the surveyor to post them a copy with a covering letter.
    They seem to have flexible rules, I emailed my survey to them. They where quite happy to accept it, as for work to be done as per surveyors recommendations.

I told them that I did not want to do it all till I had used the boat and knew how I wanted to do it.

Obviously some I would do as they where safety, I mentioned they said no problem.

I know when looking for boats I asked a couple of times about what would need a survey or not and I think the answer seemed to change!

Quote Originally Posted by nathanlee View Post
    I used mercia too once. I arranged the insurance just before I set off on a 4 month trip. When I returned from the trip, I found a letter delivered to the address I gave them informing that my insurance was cancelled because I hadn't returned the paper work, so I did half the trip unknowingly uninsured.
    I had same from Car insurance company, I went away. They cancelled my insurance wanted to considerably increase my premium and then more so because they had cancelled my insurance!

I had written to them explaining my situation, when I posted all there paper work in (I had copy of letter in front of me). I asked several times to speak to a supervisor refused.

So in the end I asked if they had a letter from me dated xxxx and did they have this call recorded answer came back yes. So I replied with "Thank you, this call need not continue any further the next communication you will have is from my solicitor, good day." 5 mins later phone call all resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by benlui View Post
    That's quiet annoying to say the least.
    As for car insurance, i've yet to see or hear of a happy ending when it comes to a claim.
    Bought a car, it was written of in an accident 3 months later. Book Value was higher than I paid for the car received nearly twice what I paid for the car...
    Actually with insurance company that cancelled my policy!
    Last edited by onesea; 02-03-12 at 14:07. Reason: PS My boats have been insured with GJW (or early versions) since I was not to much older than in profile pic.

benlui is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by onesea View Post

Bought a car, it was written of in an accident 3 months later. Book Value was higher than I paid for the car received nearly twice what I paid for the car...
    Actually with insurance company that cancelled my policy!
    Your pretty lucky. My car was written off by a friend who was covered on my policy, and i was offered 50% the value of the car. it wasn't a typical family car, more prestige but 7 years old at the time, and i almost ended up taking my insurer to Court and eventually got them on the following grounds.
    They state in the contract that in the event of a write off, they would replace my car like for like however, i couldn't find any car in the UK or IRL for their offered price. so they were breaking their contract and i pointed this out, threatened to sue them, and wala! Problem solved. But it did all take a bit of time!
    Most cases i hear RE motor claims, actual get less than they think their car was worth.

GJW excellent. Settled our only claim promptly and with no fuss. No hassles with extending cruising areas as our cruise progresses. Premiums competitive

It seems an overwhelming vote for GJW. I'll be sending the completed "Owners Condition Report" off with the rest of the gumph and a payment option form.
    Heres hoping I'll never have to call on their services for a claim......
    Thanks for the input people, much appreciated

galleni is offline Registered User

Barry H,
    I have been insured with GJW and have made a claim when my boat was damaged in Barcelona. They were very efficient and no hassel.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryH View Post
    I've been shopping around for insurance for the Leisure I recently purchased. Being a bit lazy I did it on the web. GJW emailed me back with a quote for around 150 quid. With the email were some attatchments. One being the Key Facts blurb. The other a copy of the policy doc. The last being an Owners Condition Report. This I have been asked to fill in and return to them. It is basically a check list with boxes to tick being Good, Average, Poor, N/A. Surely in the event of a claim this would be one of their biggest get out clauses. I've had car insurance companies kick off in the event of a claim stating that the wheel trims are non standard!

Now with the boat being over 20 years old I would have thought that they would have insisted on a survey. No where in the email/docs/policy etc does it state that they require one. Is this the norm? I could have sworn the last time I had insurance on the last boat a survey had to be submitted.

So million dollar question, has anyboby got insurance with GJW? Any problems with them and, god forbid, has anyone had to use their insurance policy in anger?
    Yes, I am insured with them.
    No, They have been good to deal with.
    Yes, I am currently claiming for a whole mast/rigging setup, among other repairs and equipment,they are very helpfull.
    They rquire a survey every seven years and even let me postpone the survey for a year, and have not required the next one to be in six yrs.
    I had it surveyed oct 10.
    C_W
    Holiday Flat to let in Millport , pm for details.

Barry, you are aware that if you are a member of the Leisure Owners Association then GJW give a discount on the premium price.
    "ICUIDADO! LLAMA!"

No wasn't aware of that, bit late now too as all the gumph has been sent off and payment made. Can I kick myself without falling over?

binch is offline Registered User

Default GJW

Insured here for 25 years
    Had one big claim for our 80 ton schooner.
    Grounded on genuinely unmarked and uncharted bank at HW springs. We stayed on board for 24 days and then found two large trawlers to pull us off the bank during a high pressure anti-cyclone.
    On phone GJW accepted cost of tow and a survey for damage and paid up a fairly large sum within days.
    Very gratified.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryH View Post
    No wasn't aware of that, bit late now too as all the gumph has been sent off and payment made. Can I kick myself without falling over?
    Phone them they may give a refund, they are that sort of company.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast