Page 48 of 76 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474849505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 755
  1. #471
    Barnac1e's Avatar
    Barnac1e is offline Registered User
    Location : Switzerland/Italy
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbaerselman View Post
    For the edification of our readers, please list any other "nations" which do not require registration of "home" yachts.
    And you needn't bother to check land-locked Switzerland - anything that can float and carry someone needs registering.

    I once had a Mk 1 Laser, the single sail, one person, floating surf-board and was sailing it on the Lake of Thun, near Bern. It was correctly registered but did not have its number displayed. I was approached by a police boat who asked for my papers. I didn't have them with me but told them the registration number, which partly satisfied them but they then said I was contravening regulations by not having the number on the boat. I explained that the regulation-sized number would be too big for such a small hull. No matter, they said, get it on. They then left with a warning that next time ....
    Last edited by Barnac1e; 04-04-12 at 10:30.

  2. #472
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    18,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Alpha View Post
    Sorry, Jim,
    but for German yachts under 15 m length registration (SSR) is optional. Of course, planning to go abroad, my boat is registered (to be able to proof to the French that "Wolf" is not a French boat without papers)...

    Michael
    Thank you for that - but according to Toad you don't need to have registration papers to visit France, so why do you register your boat if it is not compulsory? Not criticising, just interested.

    The sole reason why this thread (and several similar ones in the past) go on for so long is that Toad claims that it is not necessary to have a registration document to visit France. No evidence to support his statement, but he keeps repeating it (along with various other similar seemingly incorrect statements).

  3. #473
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Alpha View Post
    German yachts under 15 m length registration (SSR) is optional.
    Canada, too.

  4. #474
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Thank you for that - but according to Toad you don't need to have registration papers to visit France, so why do you register your boat if it is not compulsory? Not criticising, just interested.

    The sole reason why this thread (and several similar ones in the past) go on for so long is that Toad claims that it is not necessary to have a registration document to visit France. No evidence to support his statement, but he keeps repeating it (along with various other similar seemingly incorrect statements).
    As stated many times before... 30 years of sailing french waters in two different yachts under british flag but not SSR registered, papers checked seven or eight times, in the Med, Channel and Nord Sea, never had a single problem with authorities... (French nationality myself but residing in the UK). Must be my good looks and cool attitude or the fact that I am descending from William the Conqueror... and the officers I talked to in the last 20 months must have been scared to contradict me just because of the tone of my voice... Al

    If this is not "evidence" enough or if you do not believe me, just pick your phone up and call the french customs and hear it from the horse's mouth... How more easy can it be???????????????????????????????????????????????
    Last edited by al.carpenter; 04-04-12 at 10:57.
    Traditional Boatyards are not the only place you find thick planks...

  5. #475
    Mike_Alpha is offline Registered User
    Location : Germany (Munich)
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Thank you for that - but according to Toad you don't need to have registration papers to visit France, so why do you register your boat if it is not compulsory? Not criticising, just interested.

    The sole reason why this thread (and several similar ones in the past) go on for so long is that Toad claims that it is not necessary to have a registration document to visit France. No evidence to support his statement, but he keeps repeating it (along with various other similar seemingly incorrect statements).
    Well, my understanding of the situation is that a French yacht needs to have registration papers with it. If you are asked for your papers by customs or police you can (a) produce them or (b) proof to their satisfaction that you are not on a French boat or (c) risk a fine. I prefer (b).

  6. #476
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    18,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Alpha View Post
    Well, my understanding of the situation is that a French yacht needs to have registration papers with it. If you are asked for your papers by customs or police you can (a) produce them or (b) proof to their satisfaction that you are not on a French boat or (c) risk a fine. I prefer (b).
    Thank you. That is the situation as most people here understand it. Was checking out that it is not just a UK based delusion.

  7. #477
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    18,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by al.carpenter View Post
    As stated many times before... 30 years of sailing french waters in two different yachts under british flag but not SSR registered, papers checked seven or eight times, in the Med, Channel and Nord Sea, never had a single problem with authorities... (French nationality myself but residing in the UK). Must be my good looks and cool attitude or the fact that I am descending from William the Conqueror... and the officers I talked to in the last 20 months must have been scared to contradict me just because of the tone of my voice... Al

    If this is not "evidence" enough or if you do not believe me, just pick your phone up and call the french customs and hear it from the horse's mouth... How more easy can it be???????????????????????????????????????????????
    Not doubting your sincerity, but what you say is at odds with most other peoples' experience and at odds with the official position from the head office of Douanes as reported by Sybarite. (Never mind all the other usually reliable sources that all say the same thing).

    You certainly add some doubt to the position, but as I tried to explain before, in the absence of concrete official confirmation (or denial of the Douanes current response), most people will continue to ensure that they have the necessary documents when they visit other countries.

  8. #478
    timbartlett Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbaerselman View Post
    I can think of five "nations" in Europe which do not require registration papers. England, Scotland, Wales, N Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. That's two countries - UK and Republic of Ireland - which share the same roots of maritime law.

    For the edification of our readers, please list any other "nations" which do not require registration of "home" yachts....
    Depends on criteria such as size but you can add to that list:
    Italy.
    Sweden,
    Norway (OK, not part of the EU)
    Denmark
    Finland

    Off the top of my head. There may very well be others.

  9. #479
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Not doubting your sincerity, but what you say is at odds with most other peoples' experience and at odds with the official position from the head office of Douanes as reported by Sybarite. (Never mind all the other usually reliable sources that all say the same thing).

    You certainly add some doubt to the position, but as I tried to explain before, in the absence of concrete official confirmation (or denial of the Douanes current response), most people will continue to ensure that they have the necessary documents when they visit other countries.
    I am not advocating NOT to have your yacht registered before going to France, on the contrary... do it. What I am saying is that it might make things easy BUT it is not the law. In the past, there has "may be" been the case of boats fined for not producing a SSR but these fines were not legal. With or without the knowledge of the fining officers, that I do not know but you can understand the position of the officers I talked to on many occasions... they will never fine a yacht without a SSR... they will fine a yacht that has NO reasonnable mean of proof of being british, maybe. In my case, all I ever had to produce was a Bill of Sale or a Leasing contract for my yacht in my name, an insurance attestation in my name and for the boat and that was all. I am officially residing in the UK and could have given proof of address, tax forms, E-whatever form but I was never even asked for them and as you know the french authorities, if they think they can make a buck (or a Euro) they will have a go but not once did they tell me I should have a SSR and that they were doing me a favor by not fining me for not having one... When directely asked, politely, they will confirm to you that you cannot be fined for not providing a SSR but because this is a "sore" subject between our two countries they will ask you to refer to the highest authorities for a written answer and as you can read in their Email, the lady's carefully chosen words try to make it look like law but she never says bluntly, clearly that you have to be SSR registered. I know that hey are monitoring this thread and their english is very good so may be one of them could come on here and explain to us all what they have told me, as well as the problems with the italians and the swedes or other nordic country I cannot recall which one. What I am trying to say in these posts is that Tim and Toad are right and should not be so bluntly treated. But of course, get a SSR if you can... Al
    Traditional Boatyards are not the only place you find thick planks...

  10. #480
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    18,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by al.carpenter View Post
    What I am trying to say in these posts is that Tim and Toad are right and should not be so bluntly treated.
    They may well be right - unfortunately even after many years of saying so they are unable to PROVE it. That is they do not have any convincing evidence that they are right, just their reasoning. Clearly not sufficient to convince others.

Page 48 of 76 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474849505152535455565758 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •