Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Agreed, I never suggested that.
    It's also true that such "reversed" Y connector is not available anywhere, and I had to make it myself, in my Croatian days.
    Otoh, I never made any damage with such lethal equipment...
    ...and never had to switch on the generator and annoy the neighbours next door
    Actually, coming to think of it, once I even borrowed the lethal thing (I like that definition!) to a neighbour who seemed unable to live without A/C, in a day when I wouldn't have even thought of turning it on - hence I wasn't using it.
    a few weeks back I noticed that my shipper Alf wanted to make such a lethal thing, and I asked him, are you sure the blue sockets are all on one phase ?
    then I saw a big questionmark on his face, and he answered;
    "I have seen other doing this in marina's"

now I know who these other are

Getting back to your question, afaik there is no device on the market which can combine 2 x 16A supplies to feed 32A into a single AC circuit in a way that is "proofed" agianst the possiblitly that the two shorepower supplies are phased 120deg apart. If anyone knows of one, I'm very happy to be corrected. If you are sparky-knowledgeable and KNOW the two shorepower supplies are running off the same phase (look inside the box to see how it is wired, or measure the voltage across the two lives) than you can with caution use the Mapis device.
    So getting back to what admillington thinks he's got, it doesn't look like he's got a system for combining 2 shorepower supplies together?

As BartW said, you can get soft start devices to eliminate the start up spike on your single phase a/c motors, and better still variable frequency drives that run 3-phase a/c motors off single phase supply. These are common on bigger a/c installs and are standard gear on 70 footers+ approx
    Excuse my ignorance on this but is a soft start device something that I can buy off the shelf and retrofit? It really would make a difference to my boating to be able to run my a/c off a 16A supply

All agreed, but you and Bart are not considering what Mike said:
    The problem for me in Croatia is that 16A supplies are the norm and 32A is the exception, at least on the berths we get allocated.
    Which pretty much fits what I recall of Croatian marinas.
    two separate 16A supply lines is a perfect solution for MikeF,
    (one dedicated for A/C)

Quote Originally Posted by BartW View Post
    "I have seen other doing this in marina's"
    now I know who these other are
    Oi, don't mix the Sacred with the Profane.
    I didn't copy the lethal bit from anyone, but invented it myself!

two separate 16A supply lines is a perfect solution for MikeF, (one dedicated for A/C)
    Agreed, but that depends on how the electrical connections are arranged inside his boat, and he might have to change something.
    Besides, it is perfectly possible that all his A/C equipment requires say 18 or 20 Amps. If so, WNS?
    Aside from using lethal equipments, that is!

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    So getting back to what admillington thinks he's got, it doesn't look like he's got a system for combining 2 shorepower supplies together?
    yes he does,
    I have just called Victron for some more info,
    they do the junction behind the transformers, its a extra safety,
    and they have a automatic detection if the two supply's are on the same phase, only then they switch the junction relay.
    Fairline does this together with the UK Victron distributor "Energy Solutions"
    they might be able to supply you such a system

Excuse my ignorance on this but is a soft start device something that I can buy off the shelf and retrofit? It really would make a difference to my boating to be able to run my a/c off a 16A supply
    I don't believe that a soft start would cure your problem,
    my solution remains a extra 16A supply directly to the A/C

yes he does,
    I have just called Victron for some more info,
    they do the junction behind the transformers, its a extra safety,
    and they have a automatic detection if the two supply's are on the same phase, only then they switch the junction relay.
    Thats v interesting

I don't believe that a soft start would cure your problem,
    my solution remains a extra 16A supply directly to the A/C
    I still don't see how that cures my problem. I already run my single shorepower supply with only the a/c circuit connected and without any other circuits connected and I'm blowing the shorepower. How will a separate supply for the a/c make a difference? Its effectively the same as what I'm doing now

I already run my single shorepower supply with only the a/c circuit connected and without any other circuits connected and I'm blowing the shorepower.
    Bingo. This means that the A/C alone draws more than 16A - Q.E.D.
    Trust me, go ahead with the lethal kit.
    Just don't tell that to Bart or jfm, or any other S&H minded folk, and you'll be fine...

PS: coming to think of it, I could even send you mine, if you wish.
    I've not used it anymore since I left Croatia, and I'm not planning to return for the moment.
    But not before the end of May, 'cause I won't be onboard till then.
    Last edited by MapisM; 13-03-12 at 12:54.

yes he does,
    Yes, makes sense, ES is a big supplier to Fairline http://www.energy-solutions.co.uk/index.php

Bingo. This means that the A/C alone draws more than 16A - Q.E.D.
    Trust me, go ahead with the lethal kit.Just don't tell that to Bart or jfm, or any other S&H minded folk, and you'll be fine...
    Yup, if so, the soft start etc wont help. I agree, the lethal bit of kit (LBOK) is fine, prob 99% of the time, until

(i) you fnd that marina where 2 adjacent shorepower sockets are not on the same phase. Or
    (ii) that time where there is only one free dock 230v socket, and another free socket on the next electricity box along the quay, so someone takes the spare shorepower extension lead and connects/extends one "branch" of the LBOK to the next socket along, and you have 380v

Mapis that I said the LBOK is ok in the right hands, someone who knows how to tell if the phases are matched. Not everyone does. Touching 380v versus 230v can be the difference between a shock that makes you jump and death. Really this LBOK should not be talked about lightly. It must only be used by folks who know about 3 phase. I'm not normally a "don't run with scissors" kinda guy but I'm making an exception here and firmly disagreeing with your "it'll be ok" attitude.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast